Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if my MacBook Pro has a virus?

My internet toolbar keeps changing. At first I thought I was hitting a key by mistake but it is now getting to where a alternated tabs pops up and I can't close it without closing all tabs. (In my lamens term the little x has disappeared!)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 11:51 AM

3 replies

Mar 19, 2013 12:31 PM in response to dldmyres

OS X no virus exist *yet.*

Check out User Tip: Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security

Viruses: Are programs that earn their name by their ability to replicate themselves locally & often across a network. Many attach themselves to to other programs. When you launch one of these programs, the virus code launches as well & the virus goes about its nefarious business. Viruses are exceedingly rare on the Mac. There are no known viruses for OSX.

Trojans: Promises one thing but delivers another. You can download a program but when you run the program, the contents of your computer are instead beamed to an underground data center in Kamchatka. If you obtain software from reliable sites, you are unlikely to get a Trojan horse.

Adware: Has an embedded advertising component - one that displays or downloads ads when you run the software. Some adware is legitimate, part of the price of using a free program such as the Iconfactory's Twitterrific or Eudora for example.

Spyware: Grabs data from your computer & ofen uses it for the purposes of evil, sending personal info to a baddie or when you're using your web browser, redirecting you to site you don't want to visit.

Mac users have nothing to worry about regarding Spyware & Adware because in order for the worse forms to work, the OS must allow unrestricted access to its more sensitive parts. The Mac OS doesn't.

User uploaded file

How do I know if my MacBook Pro has a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.