Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB broken in 10.8.3

Yes guys, I found the update to Mountain Lion 10.8.3 stopped SMB from working, and I was no longer able to access the shares from Windows or Sonos.

What I tried:

• Restarting
  • Checked clock times wrere the same
  • Deleting the shares and recreating them
  • Turning off SMB and turning back on
  • Scratching my head

What worked in the end

Turning sharing off and on again.

What a waste of time. But at least it is working now.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 12:55 PM

11 replies

Mar 28, 2013 7:26 AM in response to keg55

When you say SMB need to be restarted, are you referring to disabling and then re-enabling file sharing in the Server app, or is this for people not running Server? I assume disabling and re-enabling sharing in System Preferences is the equivalent to enabling and re-enabling file sharing in the Server app?

Do you know if I would be able to use that touch command on a Server with file sharing already enabled? Will that effect anything?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2013 7:33 AM in response to aptmxLS

aptmxLS wrote:

When you say SMB need to be restarted, are you referring to disabling and then re-enabling file sharing in the Server app, or is this for people not running Server? I assume disabling and re-enabling sharing in System Preferences is the equivalent to enabling and re-enabling file sharing in the Server app?

Do you know if I would be able to use that touch command on a Server with file sharing already enabled? Will that effect anything?

Thanks!

Yes, disable/re-enable File Sharing either in System Preferences or if you're running Server.app in there. Either place.

Yes, you can use the touch command on a Server with file sharing already enabled. Nothing will be harmed. You're simply starting the SMB service.

The issue from the thread I provided appears to be when using SSD drives since they're faster than HDDs and the SMB service appears to not get started soon enough. My Mac Mini running OS X Server has this issue as I added an SSD to create a Fusion drive and after every reboot, I do the touch command. Silly and Apple really needs to fix this especially since they sell systems with SSDs (if that's the real cause).

Apr 5, 2013 2:07 PM in response to keg55

Hi, getting same issue trying to get Sonos to connect on a share (which is on the Mac HD). I tried to create the plist script though it didn't seem to fix the issue. I also tried the touch shell command, but got permission denied.

Spent half an hour on the phone with Sonos support, escalated to level 2 support now ...

how can you bump the smb from command line (I am logged in as admin)?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2013 8:55 AM in response to keg55

keg55 wrote:

There is a discussion thread where the OP created a .plist to automate starting SMB.

Unfortunately, SMB needs to be started every time the Mac is restarted.

I use the touch Terminal command from the discussion thread above.

touch "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist"

This seemed to be great to have on hand so that all of File Sharing does not have to be restarted kicking out my AFP users.

SMB broken in 10.8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.