Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Charger breaking

I have bought two mac chargers over the past two years and they have broken. Has anyone else had this problem? I cannot keep buying chargers surely they should last longer than a year at a time

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 7:13 PM

I've had literally 10+ of these cords break on me...The very first time I got the "this is how you wrap it without straining it" lecture. They're total crap...

10 replies

Jul 28, 2014 10:41 PM in response to Day28

There is obviously a quality control issue with these. I will be well on my way to number 3 shortly here. These chargers are more suitable for a stationary computer. People who let them sit in one place alway, almost always hop on here and laugh at those of us who complain about them because were mobile. These things do NOT last in a backpack even when coiled properly. Apple will never see my wallet for a computer again plain and simple, because I should not have to shell out between 60-80 dollars every year on a cord that should have been recalled and redesigned years ago. There is no reason that the sheath protecting the electrical line to my computer should be disintegrating after a year of use. The engineer manager behind this cord should be fired for not redesigning it. Jobs would not have had it. He would have sounded the alarm on this thing until it is perfect.

Apple, pull your head out of your ***. As a college kid on a ramen noodle diet, this laptop is pretty much the most expensive thing I own. I can't be shelling out for this cheap piece of crap. The least you could do is offer free replacements if we bring it in and its shredded, especially for students. My $80.00 a year is going toward building a PC and upgrading it when the time comes. I encourage everyone else to do the same, because those cords are made with durable plastic, not fragile rubber.

Cheers.

PS Microsoft is really making a turn around, this F***ing charger will be the bane of the Mac Book Pro.

Nov 23, 2017 5:51 AM in response to Day28

This still seems to be an ongoing problem. My cable all but failed when I smelt burning. Figured out what was overheating - end nearest the mag, no visible damage whatsoever to cable, but no light. Removed it immediately by the connector, and allowed it to cool. Once cold, tentatively re-connected, orange then thankfully green light. However, the slightest movement to the cable extinguished the light again (obviously loose wire/s shorting inside there somewhere) and I carefully have to go through the process of adjusting the position of the cable to ensure it connects and remains completely static. Have ordered a (genuine) replacement.

Thing is, I'm one of those who practically never moves my laptop (MacbookPro) or the cable. Since January 2015 it's been away from home three times, carefully storing cable around arms and packed safely. Never been pinched or trapped or bent inappropriately. It doesn't share it's home with kids or cats or dogs. It's has as safe an existence as a cable could ever hope to have.

89 euros for the replacement hurts. What would have hurt more though, is if the house had burnt down while I was sleeping, or out.

Apple - PLEASE deal with this. Soon?

Nov 13, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Day28

The charger sitting on my desk, in use with my current MBP was the original one which shipped with my previous MBP. I purchased that machine in Late 2007, and the 85W charger is still working fine and sits here on my desk for use with my current system (a Late 2011 MBP). I have the charger that came with the Late 2011 MBP when I bought it 2 years ago in my backpack and it gets carried around and used almost every day, and it also is still working with no issues.

I did purchase a 3rd party "clone" power adapter for my older system, and it still works, although the flip-out prongs" connector has gone bad, and I had to use it with an external cabel to plug it in. That charger is still with my old MBP with a new owner and they are using both fine with no issues that I know of, other than the vendor sold it as an 85W adapter, but it was really only a 45W adapter...

Nov 12, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Day28

This is a huge issue!! My charger chord is simply disintegrating in some places. I cannot believe Apple, being advanced in every other area, is allowing such a crappy quality charger to be associated with their brand. The same thing has happened to multiple iPhone chargers for me. Being a college student, I take my Mac with me literally everywhere. I leave my charger at home most days, so portability isn't really the issue for me. Regardless, shelling out thousands of dollars on a Mac is useless if I can't charge it because the charger is broken! The chord seems to just be disintegrating over time. I have my current charger chord wrapped with electrical tape at the trouble spots, which seems to help and prolong its life. I'm extremely disappointed not only with the chord, but also with the $80 cost to replace it. Man up Apple. Recognize you have a problem and show your customers some respect by having the decency to fix it.

MacBook Pro Charger breaking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.