Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to centralise the distribution of iOS and/or Mac OS updates?

Is there a way to centralise the distribution of iOS and/or Mac OS updates? I'm responsible for the IT infrastructure onboard a ship with limited internet connectivity and I would be keen to reduce update traffic from 50+ apple devices. TIA

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 2:32 PM

2 replies

Mar 21, 2013 8:20 AM in response to LeanderEng

Install the Apple Configurator (osx only) and it will cache the iOS update on there after it's been installed once. From then on each device you plug-in will take the update from Apple Config without having to download it. I have this setup on a macbook air and it saves me a lot of time.

The updates are device specific so make sure you update one iPhone 4, one 4S, one 5, one iPad etc before heading out to sea. I thought installing the update on an iPhone 4S will work on an iPhone 5 but the first iPhone 5 I connected needed to download.

Is there a way to centralise the distribution of iOS and/or Mac OS updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.