Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will doing this render all previously created public SSH keys useless?

I have public SSH keys on my other computers so I don't have to log in every time I SSH. Will I have to remake them or will they still work?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 6:03 PM

What are you doing that makes you worried about your ssh keys?

My experience with ssh keys is that as long as the local system has the same private key in .ssh and the destination system has your matching .pub key in the .ssh/authorized_keys file, AND all "man ssh" specified file and directory permissions are correct, then there is very little that will affect your existing keys.

The one thing that affects your .ssh/known_hosts file is if the destination system has been re-installed such that a new /etc/ hosts key is generated, then you might get ssh warnings about possible man in the middle worries.

So what are you doing that worries you about your ssh keys?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2013 6:03 PM in response to fabiobean

What are you doing that makes you worried about your ssh keys?

My experience with ssh keys is that as long as the local system has the same private key in .ssh and the destination system has your matching .pub key in the .ssh/authorized_keys file, AND all "man ssh" specified file and directory permissions are correct, then there is very little that will affect your existing keys.

The one thing that affects your .ssh/known_hosts file is if the destination system has been re-installed such that a new /etc/ hosts key is generated, then you might get ssh warnings about possible man in the middle worries.

So what are you doing that worries you about your ssh keys?

Will doing this render all previously created public SSH keys useless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.