Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 - Activation issues

So I borrowed my moms old iPhone 4 cause my original phone broke down. I get home and connect it to iTunes and begin to restore it. iTunes tells me that I need to install the newest "version" so I do that. Now when I try to activate the phone this message pops up on iTunes:

"We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time. Please try again later, or contact customer care."

Now my friend tells me that it's because the phone was jailbroken(?). And so I check with my mom and she says that she has no idea, her boyfriend was the one that helped her install it.

I have never owned an apple product in my life and i've spent the last 3 hours googling guides on how to fix this but I don't understand any of it.

Does anyone feel like helping me?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 4:27 PM

6 replies

Mar 19, 2013 8:58 PM in response to Sjoosimon

Install the latest iTunes by updating the iTunes itself. The repeat what you did before to see anything changes. There are several issues relating to this update failure or activation failure. The easiest and simplest question here is, is the iphone still on ATT SIM card? Most people back in the old days jailbroke their ATT so they can use it TMobile. The jailbreak process changes many things, some of which involves the bootloader. But if you get past that and into a complete new software iOS 6.1.3 is the telltale sign that your phone now is not jailbroken anymore. This brings up the next question. Apple has started to blackist phones that have been wiped out remotely, a process built to protect sensitive information of owners who have misplaced their phones. If you are unlucky enough to have a phone that falls in this category, the process gets a little bit trickier, which is not suitable for discussion on this forum.

Mar 19, 2013 11:00 PM in response to Sjoosimon

In simple language, the iPhone 4 was hacked to unlock it. The restore in iTunes has locked the phone back to the original carrier.

Now you can use this iPhone with the original carrier only. Insert SIM, active or inactive, from that carrier to activate your iPhone.

If you need to unlock it to use with any other carrier, approach the carrier who sold the phone. They will unlock as per their unlocking policy.

iPhone 4 - Activation issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.