Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6.1.3 hav'nt fix wifi greyed issue

i just restore my iphone 4s with the latest ios 6.1.3 but still can't fix the wifi greyed out issue .... why Apple how long should we have to wait ? PLZZZZZZ do something i fed up with my phone .... from ios 5.1.1 i got this issue still not fix in 6.1.3 .... why r u playing with us

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 4:14 PM

39 replies

Mar 19, 2013 4:30 PM in response to jahangir101

jahangir101 wrote:

i just restore my iphone 4s with the latest ios 6.1.3 but still can't fix the wifi greyed out issue .... why Apple how long should we have to wait ? PLZZZZZZ do something i fed up with my phone .... from ios 5.1.1 i got this issue still not fix in 6.1.3 .... why r u playing with us

If you have followed all of the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559 and your WiFi is still grey your phone is BROKEN. No update is going to fix it. Contact Apple for a replacement.

Q: How many hardware engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Don't worry, they'll fix it in software.

Mar 19, 2013 8:40 PM in response to jahangir101

I too have a 4S running 6.1.3 (was 6.1.2) with the dreaded "wifi disabled" and spinning Bluetooth, and find it hard to take anyone seriously who claim that, as evident by the thousands of posts, thousands of devices all suffered a hardware fault at the same time.

In my opinion it is a software issue and it'd do Apple some good if they grew some and admitted it, or failing that issued a public response at all.

People are a whole lot more understanding when you at least let them know you're aware of an issue and working on it. You'd think Apple would know this.

Mar 20, 2013 5:23 AM in response to Kelvin Phillips

If you take your phone to an Apple store they will replace it. So THEY think it's a hardware problem. But what do they know? They only make the phones.

Have you tried the freezer test? Put the phone in a freezer for 10 minutes (wrapped in plastic to block condensation). Take it out and test it. Does WiFi work? For most people with this problem it does. Until the phone warms up. Heat sensitive software? Really!

Mar 20, 2013 9:55 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

My 4 and 3G never suffered the WiFi disabled issue with any version of iOS they ran (I didn't install 6.x on my 4 yet) and I have yet to see it mentioned about any device older than the 4S, which for the record was released 10/7/2011 (a year, 5 months and 13 days) ago 🙂

As regards the WiFi chip overheating, I agree that is possible. Said device uses a BCM4330 for WiFi and BT, vs BCM4329 in the 4. A little searching reveals whilst the 4330 is in use in other non Apple devices, there doesn't seem to be any report of the chip overheating, though there may be other factors in the design and / or the processing load that iOS 6 places upon it that contribute to it doing so.

I doubt the replacement 4S handsets Apple is handing out are in any way different hardware-wise (posts suggest they're just handing out 5.1.1'd 4Ss) so with the same hardware/software combo it's probably just going to happen again when people update to 6. Is it right to say nothing on it and keep selling them?

Mar 20, 2013 10:25 AM in response to Kelvin Phillips

Kelvin Phillips wrote:

Lawrence,

My 4 and 3G never suffered the WiFi disabled issue with any version of iOS they ran (I didn't install 6.x on my 4 yet) and I have yet to see it mentioned about any device older than the 4S, which for the record was released 10/7/2011 (a year, 5 months and 13 days) ago 🙂

Does 2008 count?: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1648549?answerId=7801644022#7801644022

Or February 2010 on a 3G: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2322325?answerId=11019516022#11019516022

There are many other older reports, but I don't want to spend that much time.

Mar 20, 2013 11:48 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

I made the same search you did. The overwhelming majority of posts about "Wifi disabled" center around iOS 6 and the iPhone 4S.

You sidestepped the final point, but the long and the short of it is that whether the cause is software and / or overheating hardware the liability should lie with Apple (they only make the phones after all) and going back to my original post, they seem to be keeping very quiet on the matter despite all the posts. A 'yes we know' would go a long way.

Hoping you'll prove me wrong with a few of their official responses on the matter.

Mar 20, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Kelvin Phillips

Kelvin - I was just talking about this today, with my husband over lunch. I think this is a really interesting tech problem, and cannot believe that no one at Apple understands what it is about and how to fix it. I suspect that it is as Lawrence hypothesizes, but since the percentage of phones affected is relatively small, Apple does not feel the need to do anything about it. If this kind of flaw impacted anyone's safety, they would have to do a recall. I left my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 because of this issue, and bought a 5 after 2.5 years so I would have a warranty again. When my warranty is up on the 5, I may not do any more OS updates. I do not want to be in that small percentage!

Mar 22, 2013 11:36 AM in response to jahangir101

I had the same issue after updating to 6.1.3 yesterday. I went in to Apple Store Eaton Centre and they said they could not help as I was out of warranty by 165 days. I came home and saw a post saying putting phone in freezer would fix it.

I WAS VERY SKEPTICAL BUT IT WORKED.

My phones wifi and bluetooth work again.

Strange!!!

iOS 6.1.3 hav'nt fix wifi greyed issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.