Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental IPAD Pin question

I have read almost every question about the IPAD parental pin and people getting locked out by loosing or forgetting there pin. My question is similar but different.

I have turned on the parental controls and I have the parental pin. My 13 year old daughter has changed the user pin to her own number. Now I am locked out and can't get access to the IPAD. Having a parental pin that does not allow parental access when the pin is changed is usless. (or at least prevents the child from changing it when the parents have turned on parental control.

I read that Apple conciders this a single user devive. That is why Apple will not allow two pins That person does not have a 13 year old girlt that is talking to an older boy or man that will not give you her pin!

I realize that apple is trying to protect the users of the IPAD but in this case Apple may be allowing harm to our children by not allow the parental pin to override the user password.

Can anybody help me get access to this IPAD to try to find out if my daughter is in potential danger? I am sure she is trying to contact this guy now that we have taken her IPAD away. HELP! I can't even take it to the police because they can't access it either!!!

Gordon

iPad 2, iOS 6.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 4:59 PM

5 replies

Mar 19, 2013 5:26 PM in response to iamnee

First of all, you are asking about the Passcode that totally locks the iPad - the Passcode that you need to unlock the iPad from the lock screen for use - correct?

You are not asking about the Passcode that locks the settings so that you can not make changes in the settings - correct?

If it is the Passcode that unlocks the device for use, you must restore the iPad in order to remove the Passcode. There is no other way around this now.

Whether you forget the Passcode or somebody changes it and they will not tell you what if is - you have to restore the device within iTunes. You want to use the same computer that you always sync with so that you can restore your app data and settings. You can restore with any other computer, but you will lose everything on the iPad.

Instructions can be found here for forgotten Passcode but it works the same way.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

You will probably need to restore using Recovery Mode. You can read about it here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

• Disconnect the USB cable from the iPad, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  • Turn off iPad: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for iPad to turn off.
  • If you cannot turn off iPad using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the iPad turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  • While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to iPad. When you reconnect the USB cable, iPad should power on.
  • Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button.
  • If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the recovery mode alert that iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Use iTunes to restore iPad.

Mar 19, 2013 5:48 PM in response to Demo

Yes she has changed the lock screen. I know how to do a restore. That is not the issue!

I need the data that is on the IPAD now to track down the pervert that is persuing my 13 year old daughter. Obviously you don't have teenage daughter in todays world.

My question is how to get around the locked screen. If not then WHY NOT? If I have set the IPAD up with parental control and the child locks the IPAD then I have no control. How is that parental control? How do I protect my children when the technology around then is preventing me form protecting them and giving them the access and means to potential harm?

There are perverts stalking our children and it's the constant monitoring and good parenting that has detected this pervert so if I have to take it all away to protect them I will. I would hope that Apple would be as concerned about all childrens welfare.

So I take the IPAD away and stop buying apple products!!! Maybe everyone with a child should do the same!!!

You can't have it both ways either give me parental control or not! If not then I don't think our children should have this technology.

Mar 19, 2013 5:57 PM in response to iamnee

Yes I do have a daughter that lives at home, so you can quit using that line.

You set up a Passcode and let your daughter know what the Passcode was - which gave her the ability to unlock the iPad and then change the Passcode on her own - and you want to blame it on Apple? Are you serious? Do you realize what you are saying?

Why would you put a Passcode on the device and then let her know what it was? Why did you even bother using a Passcode? Do you realize that makes no sense at all?

You know how to restore - then you better have at it - if you ever want to unlock the iPad.

Mar 19, 2013 6:32 PM in response to Demo

I have three girls under the age of 17. Each one of them has there own IPAD. I set up parental controls and set the restrictions. What I can't do is prevent them from setting up a password on an IPAD. The parental controls does not restrict this or allow you to prevent adding a password.

I don't mean to be critical towards you, but seriously have you checked your children's products? Does your daughter own an IPAD or IPhone? Do they have passwords and do you know them? Have you looked at who they are talking to? and the places they go to? What would you do if you discovered there IPAD locked and they won't give up the password? I thought I was on top of it until now.

I am not being rude or crude here. I am really asking. We know they have passwords and we ask for the password regularly. They seem to change it to keep their sisters out of there devices about every other week. We could insist that they not use passwords, but at a moment's notice they can add or change it without us knowing. Then after a few weeks we notice strange behavior when we get near. We pick up their IPAD and its locked and she refuses to give up the password. We have taken it away from her completely trying to get information about the guy she is talking to. We know it is an older guy but how old? What would you do?

Yes I can blame Apple for not putting the proper restrictions or parental access on a product that they advertise and push to children. Much the same as a cigarette company advertising to underage kids. If it's for children then give the parents the ability to police the IPAD. The alternative is to not by Apple products.

I really don't want to point fingers except to say if they want to sell it to kids then they need to do more than say it's not our problem and there is nothing we can do.

Does anyone know of a password app that will solve the parental lock out issue?

Mar 19, 2013 6:49 PM in response to iamnee

No, there is no way to write such an app, developers do not have access to the APIs required.

Tell Apple you would like to see some sort of parental override feature but don't hold you breath on that one. More likely you could ask that they add a restriction that does not allow changing the passcode.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

In the meantime tell them that if they don't give you the passcode you take the iPad.

Parental IPAD Pin question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.