Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Administrator message

Several times in the last few weeks I have suddenly received an email headed System Administrator message unavailable. It says: "This message is no longer available on the server." On one occasion I was online with my ISP support when this message came in direct to my email client, and then as we watched, five minutes later it appeared on the ISP server. I am concerned about what or who originated the message, as it did not come from the ISP. Could it indicate a hacker has got access to my system? Can anyone suggest?

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 5:25 PM

17 replies

Mar 19, 2013 10:59 PM in response to Eric Ross

Yes, we have an iPad, but it is rarely used to look at the e-mails, and these messages did not occur when the iPad was in use. I should have mentioned that the mail client is unfortunately an iMAP account, not a POP account. However this phenomenon has just started, and dates from the time of recent problems with Java, and updates to MS office suite. I am using MS OUtlook not Mail.

Aug 12, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Geoffrey Luck

I am concerned about what or who originated the message, as it did not come from the ISP

This message wouldn't come from your ISP, it would come from the email server. I reread the whole thread and saw you only use IMAP, disregard my previous post. Try contacting support related to the email server host, whatever domain you may use.

Aug 12, 2013 6:39 PM in response to nbar

This is what I get when I contact support.

These aren't true emails, because they are missing all the common requirements of an email such as 'Received' and 'Date' headers. This message was not generated by the SMTP application that receives all email from the internet and puts it in the mailbox. Something else placed it there. More over, the mail server is smart enough that it wouldn't refer to itself as 'localhost', only a poorly configured server wouldn't put their true name in.

Here's a clue:
http://markmail.org/message/44ginmx6wytjalbx
So it would appear the mail server is running the same patch this person proposes in this email. Whenever your email client requests a messageID that doesn't exist (anymore), it returns this string and apparently creates an item in your inbox.

The timestamps on the files above seem to coincide with an IMAP login:
Jan 22 17:46:52 atlas2 imapd: LOGIN, user=josey@osteo.ca, ip=[::ffff:24.234.221.37], port=[50921], protocol=IMAP

Perhaps because the headers are missing, the email client might repeated request the messages without recognizing them as being something it has seen before and present them as new emails.

I removed the four emails from the inbox. Lets see if they come back. If they do, I might ask you to 'reindex' or 'repair' the inbox mailfolder in the email client.

He states I should reindex or repair the inbox folder. I'm not sure how to do that for mac2011 outlook.

Aug 12, 2013 6:45 PM in response to nbar

In response to Joseyuser: I still get this message occasionally. The last time, I queried my ISP who replied that the message had been automatically deleted as infringing policy on junk, abusive or malicious messages. They could not tell me who originated the message or any broad description of the content. The question of balance between protecting a client from harmful messages and depriving him from knowing who is sending what is always difficult. However it's a matter of concern to learn that some messages are being deleted without knowing more about them. I often find perfectly good safe messages from friends randomly sorted into the Junk folder, so I'm not at all confident about this filtering. On the other hand I have just received an obvious phishing message from an outfit called Payza saying "Your account will be limited if you do not confirm it," inviting me to LOGIN to confirm your information. So who sets the criteria for cancelling messages, and what are they?

Aug 12, 2013 7:06 PM in response to JoseyUser

@domain would be the host email server. Both the host and your ISP have filtering criteria. Your ISP has delineated theirs. You would need to contact the host, or modify those filtering options directly, to get the full picture.

No need to apologize, it would just help you solve your issue faster. You can click 'I have this question too' on the original post if it is the exact same, but you're concerns will be more immediately addressed by starting a new thread. Regards.

System Administrator message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.