Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Applecare to new machine

My home was broken into and my Macbook Pro stolen. Fortunately, I have insurance and will be able to replace my machine. When I replace it, will it be possible to transfer the AppleCare from the old computer to the new one?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:23 PM

6 replies

Mar 20, 2013 4:53 AM in response to David Drysdale

I would think not in as much as the policy goes with the machine as does many object (car, washing machine, refrigerator, etc...) warranties. Your insurance company should include the balance of the AppleCare in their claim amount to you. You then purchase a new AppleCare for the new Mac which then covers it for the full period.

Mar 21, 2013 5:36 AM in response to David Drysdale

In all my reading of the AC extended warranty it is Tied to both the User and the system but not to either exclusively. In other words if I sell my Mac that has AC on it the new owner is not automatically covered as it is registered in my name and to the Mac serial number. Both have to be correct for the AC to be used. I can Transfer the AC to the new owner but then if he sells it he can not transfer the AC to the Third owner. Once it has been transfered once that is it.

Along with that it is not transferable from one system to another unless the original system was replaced by Apple becuase of defects.

Transfer Applecare to new machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.