Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MagSafe Charger / Power Supply is not working

I am using mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro with 85W MagSafe . My operating system is Lion 10.7.4.

I heard a "click" coming from the direction of where my charger and just before and now its not working.

• The light is not coming on the charger itself
  • No power is shown be coming into the computer on the Desktop toolbar either, nor does my computer that there's a charger plugged in.
  • I have tried the charger in a number of the different sockets around the apartment and still no joy
  • The transformer "block" is cold

Could this be a s simple as a blown fuse in the plug or something else altogether?

I need to fix this asap. No power = no computer. All help much appreciated. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:24 AM

17 replies

Mar 20, 2013 3:31 AM in response to darkhorse85

There is not a fuse in the charger and there is nothing inside that is servicable. Take a look at clicking the apple in the left corner of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware, Power and you will see info on the battery, charge remaining, capacity, but what does it say about Charging, and if you drop down further under AC will be info on the charger, does it show there is a charger?

It probably does not show there is one from the description you gave. I would agree with Clinton that you need to get a new charger, whether at an Apple store or the on-line store.

Mar 20, 2013 3:45 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I've copy and paste info from under AC. The MagSafe charger is physically connected, the report says that is not connected and not charging.

Any tips on where I can get cheap new Apple charger (60W MagSafe)? Thanks to you

both. 🙂

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: 9G9460Q108VNC

Manufacturer: DP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 3

Hardware Revision: 2

Cell Revision: 100

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 1669

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4936

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 507

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -2244

Voltage (mV): 10881

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 3

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: No

RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No

Charging: No

Mar 20, 2013 3:52 AM in response to darkhorse85

That info pretty much says the charger has failed...the battery is in good condition but with only 34% charge left you need a charger fairly soon. Battery condition of Normal is what you want to see, and the cycle count of 507 is decent for that year MacBook.

The Apple store price, in USD, for the 60 w charger is shown here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A/apple-60w-magsafe-power-adaptor-for- macbook-and-13-inch-macbook-pro?fnode=5a

Mar 20, 2013 4:16 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Closer to China so transportation charges are less???

Seriously, the message to darkhorse should be clear from the three of us...be sure to get a genuine Apple charger and not a no-name charger. It just isn't worth the risk. We had a user during the last couple of weeks who was using a third-party charger, did some damage to the system and found out the power from the charger was really dirty and not according to spec. A very expensive "saving" on the cost of the charger.

Mar 20, 2013 2:38 PM in response to darkhorse85

Testing requires a VOM - a volt-ohm meter so you can measure the resistance across the pins and from pin to tha socket at the other end...you are looking for an open circuit, infinite resistance. As long as the resistance is close to zero, you have an electricity carrying path.

Any electronics repair shop can do that measurement, some electricians have VOMs, amateur radio operators usually have them.

Mar 20, 2013 4:16 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

A multi is a rare unit of electricity that can be measured but only by someone with a degree in electrical engineering :-)

All one is trying to do is determine whether or not there is an electrical path present...you don't even need a meter in reality. Just a flash light bulb, a battery, and three pieces of wire. Wrap a piece of wire, a stripped end, around the base of the light bulb and connect to one pole of the battery. Another piece connects to the other pole of the battery and to one pin of the charger. The third piece to the socket end of that same pin and then to the bottom of he light bulb. If the bulb lights, there is a circuit through the charger plug piece. Do the same moving the wires to the other pin of the charger plug block. If you get light on both pins the fuse has not blown. If you do not get light, the fuse has blown and you need a new plug piece with fuse assembly.

Mar 20, 2013 4:31 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph Landry1, greetings: I discovered electricity and learned about circuits when I was about 4 years old. I stuck my fingers into a wall outlet and have never done it since. This was one of the few times that I was a fast learner. 🙂

Seriously, a good tool to have is a high quality VOM. Serious testing cannot be done without one as you well know. But if you don't have one, the 'in the Amazon' techniques that you describe are better than nothing.

Ciao.

My MagSafe Charger / Power Supply is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.