Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Service Battery" warning - what can be done?

I just noticed my mac has been saying to "service battery" and i have had mine for just over a year brand new, unfortuently just out of warrenty.

I leave my macbook pro plugged in all day most weekdays and when i come home have it off when i use it and put it on charge again when it needs to so i guess i do let it run down?

But im confused as it has only had 191 cycles.

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 1598

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4422

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 191

Condition: Service Battery

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -1480

Voltage (mV): 11056

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:41 AM

if it says service battery it means you will need a new battery soon. Use the current one until the charge it provides is no longer adequate for your needs.

8 replies

Mar 20, 2013 4:43 AM in response to mattbeats

You can try running the battery down to about 10% and then recharging but that is not likely to fix anything. That warning usually means there is an internal fault in the battery.

A cycle count is really not a measure of battery health. Although the predicted cycle life of a Lithium-Ion battery is 1,000 full charge cycles, that is a statistical prediction. There sill be some that fail sooner and some that last longer. The 1,000 prediction is merely the peak of a normal, bell-shaped curve of cycle life.

You need to take the MBP in to an Apple store genius bar or authorized service center for testing by the techs to see what is wrong with the battery.

Mar 20, 2013 4:58 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I also have a macbook 13" that my school has provided and i use that as much at this macbook pro, and its had nearly 400 cycles and a full charge capacity(mAh) of around 5800 plus i have had it for 2 and abit years.

It just seems a little odd that my current so called "better" macbook pro is doing worse off than my ****** school macbook in half the amount of time that i have had it. 😟

Mar 20, 2013 5:13 AM in response to mattbeats

Notice that I said the predicted charge cycle life is a statistical thing, and that some will fail sooner and some later. There are no guarantees that any particular item will meeet the predicted lifetime for the entire population of batteries produced. Same with an automobile, there are some that do not last long and have problems, some that never have a problem. It is all a matter of statistics.

Jul 9, 2013 10:16 AM in response to mattbeats

I mainly use my Mid-2009 MBP powered from the mains and have now got the warning with the following system

information. In addition, it now seems to fade quickly if I do run it off the battery and when charging seem to get a hot

knee as well.

Is it likely that I will need to get the battery replaced?

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W0939AMAF77VA

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 3

Hardware Revision: 3

Cell Revision: 100

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 1141

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2023

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 168

Condition: Service Battery

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 2041

Voltage (mV): 12522

Jul 9, 2013 10:54 AM in response to GBorgs

I mainly use my Mid-2009 MBP powered from the mains and have now got the warning...

You have encounterd what many people do: lack of use has shortened you battery life. A lithium polymer battery is like a human muscle--if not used it atrophies and dies. This Apple article:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

has the following under the section "Standard Maintenance":

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.

"Service Battery" warning - what can be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.