Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Photos off supervised iPad

Hi All,

I have about 60 iPads that have all been setup with Apple Configurator.

Although the configurator provides us with some good options one big issue I'm having is that it seems to block devices from downloading photos onto any machine that wasn't the one configurator was setup on.

You just get recieve an error message stating the iOS Device is supervised by another machine.

Has anyone else experiences this problem? Anyone got a work around?

Thanks,

Josh

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 5:39 AM

8 replies

Jul 18, 2013 2:42 AM in response to JoshuaKing

Hi,

I also face this issue. Being as though other iPads & iPhones can usually be connected to anything, I was a little surprised to find these can't be connect to anything.

Would certainly appreciate any tips suggestions you've come up with.

DropBox is not a real option at this point and like Rachel_1980, I'm unable to even use the cable on my original machine.

Adrian

Aug 27, 2013 4:20 AM in response to JoshuaKing

Joshua,

If you are using Configurator to supervise your iPad I have found a workaround that just worked for me.

Connect the iPad to the computer that supervises it, take screen shots (home key and off key pressed together) of the photos as they are displayed in Photos on your iPad and then they will be seen when you launch iPhoto on the host computer.

It takes some time, but may be worth it, I just took screen shots of about 70 photos and they are now in iPhoto so I can export them now and use them.

It took me 15 minutes.

Hope this helps, Darryl

Dec 9, 2013 7:49 AM in response to JoshuaKing

Has anyone heard official word from Apple on this? Is it a feature or a bug? I can't find any recognition from Apple, the closest I've heard is on http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.4.1/?lang=en#cadee170260 when you click on the word supervised:

"Supervised devices can’t be synced with iTunes or with a copy of Apple Configurator on a different Mac."

It doesn't specifically say anything about importing photos in Windows Explorer, iPhoto or Image Capture on computers other than the one it is supervised by.

Dec 10, 2013 6:56 AM in response to Robzilla87

I had a conversation with a Senior Advisor on Apple Support Live Chat today. The short answer is: it's not possible via USB.

TRANSCRIPT EXTRACT:

Me: I was just wondering if there is a way to copy photos and videos from an iPad which is supervised to a computer (not the computer that supervises the device) via a USB cable?

Me: I have done lots of Googling and searching of the Community Forums, but I have not been able to find an official apple response.

Me: If you look at this link, you can see lots of people on the Community Forums have the same problem [link to Community search results for "supervised ipad photos"].

Apple Senior Advisor: Ahh, wow, this can be a difficult one. Essentially, iOS devices setup with a profile using Apple Configurator can only be used completely with the computer they were setup with. For importing photos, syncing, and other concerns this can make using them physically with a computer difficult.

Me: I realise that a supervised iPad cannot synchronise with another computer, but I cannot find if it is possible to just copy photos and videos.

Me: Is there a way to copy photos from a supervised iPad?

Apple Senior Advisor: It will not interface with any other computer by USB, except the one it was configured on originally. This includes importing Photos and Videos.

Apple Senior Advisor: The Profile used on it would have to be removed for full access through USB, with other computers.

Mar 20, 2014 6:21 AM in response to Robzilla87

UPDATE: This has now been solved.

Apple Configurator version 1.4 supports this feature. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5895

A new "Allow devices to connect to other Macs" option that allows supervised devices to sync photos and videos with other Macs.

Note: In order to apply the "Allow devices to connect to other Macs" option to a previously-supervised device, you must unsupervise it and then supervise it again.

Get Photos off supervised iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.