Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I show >10,000 items

I have a USB drive that functions as an archive for my music files.

I'm trying to return counts on the various file types. I expect that I have >14K m4a files. Because Finder stops searching when it hits the 10K wall, I cannot get an exact count. Serously? I mean my iMac _IS_ a computer, right? It seriously cannot handle more than 10K results? I'm very disappointed.

Other posts instruct me to scroll to the end of the list and click a "More" button. However, I cannot find a "More" button anywhere in the UI.

Is there a way to override this ludicris 10K limitation? I tried running an ls shell command, but I cannot figure out how to cd to the USB drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 6:33 AM

How is the drive formatted? In OS X, with the drive as Mac OS Extended, a folder can contain up to 2.1 billion files and folders. How many it can hold isn't the same as how many it will display, but I can't think of any reason it would cut off at 10K.

If you want to run a list of what's on the USB drive in Terminal, you put in the name of the drive. So if the drive's desktop name is Music, you would enter:

ls /volumes/music

Which would show you the root entries. To show all files within folders, add the recursive command:

ls -R /volumes/music

With ls, -R is different from -r, so make sure to use the uppercase.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2013 6:33 AM in response to ToneMonkey

How is the drive formatted? In OS X, with the drive as Mac OS Extended, a folder can contain up to 2.1 billion files and folders. How many it can hold isn't the same as how many it will display, but I can't think of any reason it would cut off at 10K.

If you want to run a list of what's on the USB drive in Terminal, you put in the name of the drive. So if the drive's desktop name is Music, you would enter:

ls /volumes/music

Which would show you the root entries. To show all files within folders, add the recursive command:

ls -R /volumes/music

With ls, -R is different from -r, so make sure to use the uppercase.

Mar 20, 2013 6:58 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt. I probably didn't describe the problem as clearly as I thought I did. The issue is not the number of files the drive will hold, the issue is the number of search results Finder shows. It shops at 10K, with a status message of "More than 10,000 items." I need a more precise answer than that.

Thanks for the path info. That unstuck me. Much appreciated.

In case someone else needs this info, here's how I got shell to give me what I needed:

cd "/volumes/Music Archive"

ls -R | grep -c "m4a"

Easy peasy. Many thanks!

Mar 20, 2013 7:23 AM in response to ToneMonkey

It shops at 10K, with a status message of "More than 10,000 items." I need a more precise answer than that.

Your initial post was indeed clear. I've never heard of the OS stopping at 10K items. But you're obviously getting a message which says just that.

Using cd along with /volumes/ is a way to move to another volume, though you can list it without moving to that drive first as I showed above. As you found, your drive has a space in the name, so you have to surround the path with quotes.

Another way to redirect output would be this:

ls -R "/volumes/Music Archive" > ~/Desktop music.txt

This will create a text file of the list output onto your desktop in a text document named music.txt

How can I show >10,000 items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.