Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6.1.3 battery drain

Hello all,

After upgrading to ios 6.1.2 i started to experience battery drain.

I was losing like 5-6% every 5 minutes in the Settings app.

During my test I had everything off and the brightness set to low (i already tried the obvious solutions like turning off bluetooth, 3g, fetching mail, turning off location services, resetting the phone, restore as new, taking out my SIM, airplane mode, turning wifi off, the battery is in good shape). This way i could get around 4/5h of usage

So, today i decided to upgrade to 6.1.3 and was hoping to see a change.

However, the problem still continued. the only thing that i could do at this moment is to let the battery run out completely

and recharge till 100%. Yet, I'm sure this won't solve the problem at all since i already tried this on the first and second phone without any satisfying result.

This is my 2nd iphone 4s, handed the first one in after experiencing this battery drain for weeks, and im kinda starting to lose faith in Apple's ability after having read tons of threads on this forum and wasting 3/4 weeks trying to solve this issue.

After reading this, do you think it's time for me to go and replace the phone again?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:06 AM

12 replies

Mar 20, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Jose Saez Venezuela

Jose Saez Venezuela wrote:

if Apple don`t take measures to solve our problems; I think that better is change to Samsung SIII?? What do you think about it?

Then leave... take you business anywhere you feel it will be valued.

This is a user to user technical support forum, Apple never responds here.

With EVERY iOS update there is a group of users that report dramatically decreased battery life.

With EVERY iOS update there is a group of users that report improved battery life.

With EVERY iOS update the vast majority of users see no noticable difference in battery life.

Basic troubleshooting from the User's Guide is reset, restart, restore (first from backup then as new). Try each of these in order until the issue is resolved.

Frankly, it is virtually impossible to say the day after an iOS update was released that the update caused battery issues. There simply are not enough people that have installed it and it hasn't been given enough time to prove that the update is the issue.

Mar 21, 2013 5:52 AM in response to diesel vdub

you got a point there. there will always be a group of people who will have issues.

However, after having tried any possible solution, after swapping the old iphone for a new phone, after trying troubleshooting this issue for 4 weeks on my own (because Apple just simply want to swap it, they didnt explain in my case what possibly could be causing the error on both the old and new phone). Thus, i can perfectly imagine that some people simply dont have enough time and will to try to solve this problem on their own. i don't blame them. But saying that switching to another phone is the best option, is not something i agree with. there will be problems with any phone.

As for me, i drained the battery completely last night and recharged it till 100%. hope everything will work out well after all these weeks since this is the last possible solution for me.

Mar 22, 2013 10:32 PM in response to Kara_Bela50

I collected most of the solutions that have worked for people here. I definitely had the same thing on my iphone 5 and for me the problem was push email. Setting that to "Fetch" worked for me but different things for different people. Brought my battery life from 2-3 hours back to a full day with no problems, and phone was no longer hot.

And there's always lots of ways to reduce your battery usage in general.

But I do also agree that Apple mightve dropped the ball on this one. It seems like an unusually high number of people were affected by this bug during the update.

Mar 23, 2013 10:27 AM in response to bkbeachlabs

Hi, I must desactivate the push option in email settings?? By other; do you know how can I do for my wi-fi connection work?? I followed an example from JYW76 that put my iphone in a ziplock bag and get into yhe freezer by one hour. It really works, but only for few minutes. It`s Incredible that Apple don`t solve this problem of a faster effective way. I forgot to mention that a lost my siri application with the update 6.1.3 y my battery getting hot

Mar 25, 2013 12:16 PM in response to Kara_Bela50

My dear friends in trouble, I just like you are faced with this problem (only iPad) IBP after my upgrade was discharged at an incredible rate, even IOS 6.1.2 is not so much how much spending eats IOS 6.1.3. I hope that this will fix problemmu shortly. Are you Apple Inc. Rating, so difficult to release a normal IOS 6? I believe in you and I'll be happy if I do not have transitions on android.

Mar 25, 2013 3:52 PM in response to Jose Saez Venezuela

Any Samsung would drain battery even faster than IPhone 4s or 5. I think it's matter of the software. Next update will fix it I hope. IOS operating sytem is undoubtly more efficient than the latest Android operating system because IOS was specifically designed for Apple hardware and Android wasn't. To be concise- Android enviroment drains battery much faster than IOS.😎😎

iOS 6.1.3 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.