Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to MOTN 5 from MOTN 3

I'm looking to update to MOTN 5 from FCS 2 with MOTN 3. Will my v3 projects open in v5 and will they be compatible? I'll be using this as a stand alone app along side Premiere Pro CS6 and AE, so no need for integration or Send to MOTN project with FCP.

Also, Motion 5 states that the AMD Radeon HD 6870 GFX card is not offically supported but does work (1st link below), however another post I found says that an update has now allowed for this cards support. I'm running a hack-in-tosh, and not proud of it, but its the cards I was delt so I'm forced to use it. I'm hoping IT will moving me to a MAC Pro. Anyway, will MOTN 5 conflict with FCS 2 & MOTN 3 and will it work with the AMD 6870?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3735556?answerId=17596718022#17596718022&searchText=support%20AMD%20Radeon %20HD%206870#17596718

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2792310?answerId=13269620022#13269620022&searchText=support%20AMD%20Radeon %20HD%206870#13269620

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:07 AM

5 replies

Mar 20, 2013 2:06 PM in response to midsoup

I've opened Motion 2 projects in Motion 5 and had them run perfectly (Motion 5 will *always* open them as "Untitled", new projects). There will be occasional issues with some older Motion projects (I can't recall the exact natures) but one project that comes to mind was converting the Skyline Lower Third from Motion 4 to Motion 5 (there was an error in local/global 3D rendering -- easily fixed... after figuring out what the problem was.)

If you follow the "safe practices" guidelines for installing FCPX and/or Motion 5 with older versions of FCS, you should be okay and be able to run either M3 or M5 (just not at the same time.) You can find a copy here:

http://www.dvcreators.net/make-sure-you-read-this-before-installing-final-cut-pr o-x-motion-5-or-compressor-4/

and start from "Install Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4 on the same disk as Final Cut Studio (2009)" down

I am not sure what difficulties you might have with an unsupported video card. You'll have to take your chances. M5 is only $50... the value of the risk would be up to you.

Mar 21, 2013 10:00 AM in response to midsoup

I don't think there would be any real difference whether you were backing up FCS2 or 3. The only real problem is that the applications themselves have the same names as the newer software; as in Final Cut Pro and Motion, and the names of the apps do not contain the version number. Two different applications with the same name cannot exist in the same location at the same time. The best practices helps keep all the "suite" applications together for the older version and keep the newer software installer from overwriting the older software.

If you have any doubts at all, select *all* the FCS applications together and create a compressed archive (after command-selecting all the apps, right click on one of them and select Compress... from the dropdown menu.) If anything "happens", you will have a saved state version of each application in the archive that can be restored later. (After you've got into the "flow" of FCPX, I sincerely doubt you will ever go back to FCP6 -- but keep Motion 3 around... I keep a copy of Motion 4 available for some things.)

Mar 21, 2013 10:24 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the help. I'm going to give that a whirl. I'm not actually using X. Its not ready for my needs yet. I've been considering AVID, but for costs and the FCP likeness, I'm making the jump to CS6 and Premiere. I do use AE buts like MOTN much better. Its just faster and easier for the work we do. I keep AE around for the heavy hitting compositing needs. So I'll be using MOTN 5 as a stand alone. Appreciate the help.

Upgrade to MOTN 5 from MOTN 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.