8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2015 2:43 PM by FOTE_FriendOfTheEarth
Ray_J Level 1 (0 points)

I have no problem composing on my mini but if I want to attach a file whether it's .doc or .jpg I cannot see a way to do so. Is it possible to do this? If so where do I look for the link to do this?

iPad
  • BobTheFisherman Level 6 (13,442 points)

Look within the application's menu rather than opening eamil and looking in email for how to attach a document.

• Ray_J Level 1 (0 points)

I'm not following your suggestion. What application are you referring to? The problem is I am already composing a message and find that I need to include the file. At this point how do I do this?

• BobTheFisherman Level 6 (13,442 points)

You can't attach a file to an email. You open your file and then select the menu item to email it. There is no file system in IOS so you can not navigate to the file to attach from within email.

• Steve Nicholls Level 4 (1,550 points)

Hi Ray,

Let's look at a photo for example, if you wanted to send a picture by email, you'd naturally want to go to Mail and Compose and send it, but you'd be wrong.

Instead you need to go to the Photos app, select the Photo you want to email and click the curly arrow - usually top right of the screen - and select the Mail option, this will then load Mail and allow you to compose and send.

I can only assume that it would be similar with the app you use for your .doc files?

Hope this helps?

Steve

Thanks, Steve, you're taking the time to completely explain the procedure is very helpful. My problem obviously is that I must decide before I start composing that I have an attachment to include and not to wait until I'm within the mail program to decide to do so. Thanks again man keep up the good work.

• Steve Nicholls Level 4 (1,550 points)

Hi Ray,

Glad I could help.  This issue has had me confused in the past as it goes completely against the nature of what you're used to when composing an email.  Also, and although you didn't raise this as an issue, I have no idea what you do if you need to send more than one attachment in the same email.  I'm guessing you'd have to send one attachment per email - but if anybody knows any different that would be good.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, and further I suspect that Apple is not wanting to include these features and abilities in the iPad so as to replace the computer. The discussion is ongoing as to whether it would be easier to just decide to use the iPad rather than invest in a computer with all of its power compared to the iPad. Onward and upward!

• FOTE_FriendOfTheEarth Level 1 (0 points)

Ray,

Welcome to the world of Apple! I hear many people compare the iPad to a Windows tablet. But, really, the iPad is purely a tablet and not a full scale computer. With the iPad you can only do very limited things that Apple has allowed you to. Yes, it is a very sleek, well designed, and powerful device. But, it is very limited.

I would not carry just my iPad hoping to replace my computer.