Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I restored Mac OS 8.6 on iMac G3 Bondi blue and it freezes everytime on startup what fixes can help?

I tried messing with extensions but that doesn't seem to be causing the problem I swap the hard drive out with another one and it still freezes up, would it be the dead PRAM battery I heard that causes the computer to freeze on startup screen I also upgraded to mac os 9.2.1 and it does the same thing and I also messed with the extensions, is there any other causes I need to check?

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:16 AM

12 replies

Mar 20, 2013 9:19 AM in response to RicksFamous

What happens when you hold SHIFT while booting? That disables extensions and, if the computer becomes stable, indicates your mucking with the extensions is the issue.

The G3 iMacs were the first Macs with "New World ROM" that makes the PRAM battery less of an issue that it was on earlier Macs. Still, they cost about US$5 online and are relatively easy to replace, so it worth a try.

If a dead PRAM battery corrupted something, the way to fix that is to zap the PRAM during a cold start by holding the key combo command option p r and keep holding until you hear a total of three startup chimes, then let go the keys. That flushes corrupted values and replaces them with factory defaults.

When you tried OS9, did you use retail install disks or the grey system disks from another Mac model? The latter doesn;t alwasy work.

Mar 20, 2013 12:11 PM in response to Allan Jones

I don't think its the retail version when I put the disc in and hold down c it takes me to a gray screen with a floppy disk icon with a question mark the only way I could use it was install it over mac os 8.6, the mac os 8.6 cd I have is a iMac restore disc I don't know if thats why its freezing up, it does boot into mac os 9 when I hold down shift so it might be one of the extensions but I also tried holding down the apple key when booting up and it works but I'm wondering if thats just safe mode

Mar 27, 2013 12:11 PM in response to RicksFamous

You have a retail version of Panther. It froze up during the installation.

I'm not sure of cause. I assume it is hardware related. Try a new keyboard & mouse. Try booting without keybard & mouse.

How much memory to you have? OS X was finickic about the memory. Lots of bad memory found.

See if you can get the machine to run awhile from the cd.

Run disk utility on the hd. See if machine runs.

Run terminal commands from cd.

The idea is to sort out what works hardware wise.

--------------------------------------------------------------

>verify & repair your startup drive

To verify & repair you file system on the startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from you installation DVD.

This article will tell you how to get to disk utility. Once in a disk utility, you can go and attempt to recover the disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

To repair your startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from your startup DVD.
Mac OS X 10.4: About the utilities available on the Mac OS X 10.4 Install DVD

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2055

How to run disk utility from your startup DVD.

1. Insert your startup DVD into your reader. Power down your machine. Hold down to the c key. Power on your machine. This will bootup your startup DVD.
  2. This will bring you to a panel asking you for your language. Pick your language.
  3. User uploaded file

4. You you come to the Install Mac OS panel. Do not install.
  5. Click on Utilities menu item. This will give you a pulldown list of utilities.
  6. Click on the disk utility.
    User uploaded file
  7. You are now in disk utility. Pick your disk. Click on repair it should be on the lower right of the panel. User uploaded file
  8. Once the repair completes successfully, you should update your permissions.

Apr 18, 2013 3:39 PM in response to rccharles

I'm thinking about buying some more ram for it and I was wondering if I could use laptop SDRAM 144 pin PC100 in the iMac I know its max it can hold is 512MB but I can't seem to find anywhere a 256MB for the memory slot on the top of the logic board because it uses the bigger memory card than on the bottom one am I able to use a small one in tht slot like the bottom one?

Apr 19, 2013 9:52 AM in response to RicksFamous

One slot uses the smaller laptop memory. I'm not a memory expert from the view of spec. I have bought all my memory from owc. X is particular about memory.

I understand that we are talking about the original iMac g3 233. People have reported some of these machines can hold 512meg while other people report the maximum is 384meg. The official max from Apple is 256meg. You will have to try.

See memory spec here. Doesn't say how many slots the machine takes. Give them a call.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/G3_233MHz_266MHz_333MHz

Apr 19, 2013 5:00 PM in response to rccharles

yeah thats the type I need, the iMac has only two slots mine use to be the revision C but I added the revision D logic board 333mhz I find it odd this memory card is bigger than the one that goes in the bottom slot, its SDRAM PC66 144 pin

so what I was wondering for the top slot where this one goes if I could use a smaller one like the one that goes

in the bottom slot?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2013 7:42 PM in response to RicksFamous

My understanding is that rev b,c, and d take 512meg.

You can use the small form factor in both slots. I read this numerous times and some suppliers sell only the small form factor. Note: Mac OS X is rather particular to memory cards. If there is a problem it isn't because of the small form factor. it is X.

At one time the smaller form factor cards cost more then the larger. Apple was clever indeed.

Robert

I restored Mac OS 8.6 on iMac G3 Bondi blue and it freezes everytime on startup what fixes can help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.