Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I purchase original iMac box?

Because we live in an apartment is just isn't practical to keep boxes for things we buy, even though I would like to be able to. We are planning a significant move. I would like to put our iMacs into original boxes with the original foam for safest shipping. I see boxes on eBay but they either don't seem to include the foam or they are for the wrong style/year iMac. I was told by an Apple Care rep that Apple should be able to sell me a couple of boxes -- after all, they still sell refurbed 2010/2011 iMacs (which need boxes) and they use them for shipping back and forth for service -- but no one seems to know who I should contact about this. Does anyone have any information on who or what department at Apple I would contact about purchasing a couple of iMac boxes?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 10:23 AM

I've moved an iMac several times. I pack it in a box with bubble wrap, clothing items, towels until it is snug. I also cover the screen with plastic wrap. So far, so good. You can also ask the movers to pack it for you, that way it is their responsibility if anything happens. For short moves, I've put it in the backseat of the car with the screen facing the back of seat and the stand pushed under the seat back.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2017 10:23 AM in response to AxeBox360

I've moved an iMac several times. I pack it in a box with bubble wrap, clothing items, towels until it is snug. I also cover the screen with plastic wrap. So far, so good. You can also ask the movers to pack it for you, that way it is their responsibility if anything happens. For short moves, I've put it in the backseat of the car with the screen facing the back of seat and the stand pushed under the seat back.

Mar 20, 2013 8:48 AM in response to LDMartin1959

Apple does not sell the boxes and packaging individually. Your best bet is EBay, you can always ask sellers questions if it's unclear if they have the interior padding and the correct box. You can also attempt Craig's List.

Another avenue is to contact Apple's Recycling Center (http://www.apple.com/recycling/) and see if they can provide a complete box and packing material.

Anotherrecommendation would be to visit your local UPS Store or any other professional shipping place and ask them to put together a shipping box for your iMac.

Going forward, because you don't have adequate storage at your apartment then why not rent a small storage space to save items you can store at home. I've done this for years and it works out very well!

Mar 20, 2013 8:57 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Apple does not sell the boxes and packaging individually. Your best bet is EBay, you can always ask sellers questions if it's unclear if they have the interior padding and the correct box. You can also attempt Craig's List.

Another avenue is to contact Apple's Recycling Center (http://www.apple.com/recycling/) and see if they can provide a complete box and packing material.

I'll look into those, although I am a bit leery of eBay and Craig's List sellers regarding an item such as this (for different reasons). Wasn't aware of the recycling section of Apple's website so I'll definately look into that.

Anotherrecommendation would be to visit your local UPS Store or any other professional shipping place and ask them to put together a shipping box for your iMac.

I've looked into some similar options but none seem to have anything specific to iMacs (although many do have boxes specificaly for things like large, flat screen t.v.'s) so you end up having to use bubble wrap which placed the packaging in contact with the screen which is not my first choice of packaging method for such expensive equipment.

Going forward, because you don't have adequate storage at your apartment then why not rent a small storage space to save items you can store at home. I've done this for years and it works out very well!

Yea, but it's a cost thing, ya know... 😟 After awhile it' just cheaper to go out and buy all new stuff than to keep the old stuff (or even the boxes for the old stuff) in storage. And besides, my wife would just fill it up with junk!!! 🙂

Can I purchase original iMac box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.