Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro is shutting down by itself. How do I fix this?

Recently, my 15-inch mind-2012 MacBook Pro (10.8) has been shutting itself down. From what I've read, this is because it thinks it's overheating. This is not the case at this point in time, since it is shutting down on startup after a night of being shut down in room temperature. I try rebooting it, and it immediately shuts down two seconds after pressing the power button. On the occasion it does boot past the login screen, I can hear the fan running at an incredible/abnormal speed, even though the laptop isn't very warm at all. I also dual-boot Windows 7, and even on that partition, the fan is running abnormal and the system shuts itself down in a short time. I've tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC, I've tried running Disk Utility, and I'm afraid to try using Internet Recovery or System Restore. I am at a loss as to what I should do. Could someone please help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:31 PM

1 reply

Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM in response to Emile.Griffard

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 17" MBP, 10.6.8.

I'm booting from the OS install disk that came with and restoring from a Time machine backup. Short of this, you might try just reinstalling the OS if you don't have a full backup available.

This is the fourth or fifth time this machine has crapped out on me for no apparent reason. I think there is some fundamental flaw in the OS. Apple's failure to address this problem reflects a contempt on the part of Apple for their user base. Really infuriating..

Good luck.

My MacBook Pro is shutting down by itself. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.