Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected Servers does not appear on Desktop

I have no pending updates to apply, I've set active the option show on desktop "Connected server", I've connected the server and I've done a NVRAM reset twice and still can't see the external drive icon in my desktop.

What's wrong?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:36 PM

7 replies

Mar 20, 2013 2:52 PM in response to ElAlecsMx

HI,

What happens if you change the Right hand info Panel to read "Kind" as the Sort preference ?

I can see that the items do appear in alphabetical order but I have not real sense if there are items hidden behind those windows.

User uploaded file
9:52 PM Wednesday; March 20, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 21, 2013 12:15 PM in response to ElAlecsMx

Hi,

I can see that "Bender" in your original Pic will only appear in the Side bar as you have not connected to it yet.

I can see that "matrix" should appear on the Desktop according to the settings you have.

It shows "matrix" as the title of the window and you can see it has at least one folder. Also you have the path bar on view and it starts "Network..."

Having said that I don't recognise the Server icon type in side bar.

I have a MacBook Pro, an older G4 tower and a NAS drive connected and showing Shares.

Like you I have logged in to some but not others

A Pic of one of the Folders on the NAS drive.

User uploaded file

As the drive you have selected (matrix) is not even showing with the "wrong" icon that happens sometimes I am reluctant to suggest a PRAM reset that normally sorts out the icons (amongst other things it does)

A PRAM reset is done by the following

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file
7:15 PM Thursday; March 21, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 26, 2014 8:16 PM in response to ElAlecsMx

Wonderfull !! Thank your for this solution. You're the only one who found it. It worked perfectly for me.

All my NAS shares, one connected, are well shown as a desktop icon but one of them won't ever show up on desktop. I spent two hours to find out why.

Can you explain me why suddenly a connected server icon can be hidden ?

tag: server connected icon not showing up on desktop

Connected Servers does not appear on Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.