Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn on trim support on APPLE SSD SM128

Hello,

I'm hving problem with starting trim support on my SSD (i'm new at this ssd thingy)...as stated in the topic its an APPLE SSD SM128...

I've downloaded and started the Trim Enabler app and rebooted my computer a few times, but still i get the same msg:

"the patch is active, but the trim is not working"!

btw, im on osx 10.8.3

Does anybody know what should i do?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 2:28 PM

9 replies

Mar 20, 2013 2:41 PM in response to mende1

Yeah, i got the original one...but it was not the one that was built-in...i had some hdd untill yesterday when i changed to ssd...anyway, i've seen that those ssd's with sandforce controlers dont need it, but i was unable to find more info about the apple ssd and if they use it...anyway, im not sure if i should trim or not, but by reading and listening about it from ppl arround, it is something that should be done. At this moment, the trim is off and i cant change it..

Mar 20, 2013 3:14 PM in response to mende1

Yeah, i guess thats the reason why it isnt enabled by default...but why it cant be enabled by Trim Enabler app is my question?? its odd...cuz i seroiusly doubt it is not compatible with trim...though, im not an expert..so...

about that link u've sent...it says in the end "This patch simply edits a file called blahblah, removing string that makes trim work for only apple ssds"...so it aint for me i guess..but, hey...thanks for trying! 🙂

Mar 20, 2013 3:17 PM in response to vladazzz

It's always dangerous to use that type of apps. If something fails, you may have to reinstall Mac OS X. As you have an original Apple SSD, TRIM should be enabled by default, but if it isn't, it's because Apple considers that it's not needed. You aren't the only one; I have seen cases like yours with MacBooks Air and MacBooks Pro with Retina display, so I wouldn't be worried

Mar 20, 2013 3:27 PM in response to mende1

Well, since i've been using apple products for many years now, im not so sure if they r so reliable as u say...i mean, to trust "them" completely when they hv so many software issues on all of their os's...on the other hand, about that app thing u r right...many things can happen cuz they're automatic and who knows what they actualy do when we click that button...anyway, for now nothing bad happened to my os, so i guess its ok...but it also didnt do the job..

Apr 2, 2013 1:21 PM in response to vladazzz

I bought a used late 11' Macbook Pro which came with a apple braned SSD 120gb. I took it out and popped it in my old 06' intel core 2 duo 17" Macbook pro running lion. To enable Trim I downloaded Chameleon SSD, Works GREAT!!

download link

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43656/chameleon-ssd-optimizer

Ohh I bought a Samsung 840 pro 256gb and popped that in my late 11' (Mt lion) Macbook pro using Chameleon SSD Trim support on it. That too works flawlessly!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!

Keep us posted.

Can't turn on trim support on APPLE SSD SM128

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.