Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 15" mid 2010 i7 with SSD - Repeated Issues with Wifi

Hi

I have had a repeat issue ranging from the very common "No Hardware Installed" to the network appearing to be connected but when checking the interface it is most definitely down. I have performed te following in the past and each time it has worked for a while and then died again

1. Reset PRAM - seems to only help temporarily

2. Reinstall OS over existing installation - again this works for a few weeks/months

3. Complete wipe and reinstall - seems to be working at present but who knows how long for

4. Simple reboot - sometimes this fixes it for a few minutes/hours

My biggest complaint is that I have Applecare warranty until ~May this year and the last time i sent it away they simple were able to remove and add the interface in the network settings and the issue was resolved and as it was "software" they charged me an hours labour for the pleasure, now I am sure I tried this prior to sending it away and it wouldnt even give me the option to Wi-Fi to add when I tried to add the interface again. Needless to say I paid the price as charged for service and hoped it was all resolved. That was Januwary this year and it was working fine until this week when again it stopped, if my wife reset PRAM it would work again for minutes/an hour and then die again.

This time wiped the drive and reinstalled from recovery, the thing I noticed is that when I went into recovery it could see the wifi network and all seemed ok, however if I rebooted to the OS it had the hardware but couldnt find any networks. Anyway after formatting I connected to LAN (to be sure) and recovery updated to the lastest installer and installed fine, all seems to be work (for now) but I am not convinced it wont happen again and likely I will be out of support. Anyway I looked online today and see someone found an interesting workaround for their issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4738457?start=0&tstart=0

That is something I might be willing to try, but it doesnt really explain my issue as the OS couldnt see any networks but in recovery it could which to me points to a software issue for how the WiFi parameters are stored in memory, possibly corrupted?

Anyway I would really like to know if anyone can confirm if the link above (loose cable) has helped for them and hopefully I might finally regain some confidence before dumping the lovely but overpriced hardware and using linux full time on hardware that a fraction of the price

Thanks

Phil

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:40 PM

There are no replies.

MBP 15" mid 2010 i7 with SSD - Repeated Issues with Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.