Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Leopard bootable from external FW drive?

I was wondering if I can boot into 10.5 from an external FW HD? I am wanting to have the option of booting to 10.5 for a specific need AND keep my dual boot capability for 10.4/9.2.2. I was going to install 10.5 on a second internal HD, but it is a SCSI drive and does not show up as available for installing 10.5. An option I have is a spare 20 Gb drive I could hook up internally and install to that. The only thing I would be putting on either drive is the OS - nothing else. Can anyone offer thoughts on how best to proceed and/or problems with either scenario (ext HD install if possible to boot or internal HD)? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer.

G4 MDD, Mac OS X (10.4.11), M-Audio Delta 44, A1038 Display

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Hi, yes, it is quite possible, but depends on Chipset in the external enclosure, in my experience the last year, recent FW chipsets are not bootable on PPC Macs, but find an older one & you'll be golden if it's Mac compatible.look for an Oxford chipset.

4 replies

Is Leopard bootable from external FW drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.