Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view website locally

I am hosting a website on my Mac Mini Server 10.6.7. The site views properly from any browser outside of my network, but not locally ...I get a "Safari can't find the server" message. I am assuming the problem has to do with the fact that my server and website share the same name ...server name is "example.com" and the site is "www.example.com". How do I resolve this issue? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:16 PM

2 replies

Mar 21, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Jimbooooooo

If DNS lookups are being handled by your Mac Mini Server, and the server domain name is the same as your website, then one option will be to setup Split-Horizon DNS. Not the easiest thing to do, but I am not a DNS wizard. Have a look at this document. There might be something here for you to work with.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436#forwarders

Mar 25, 2013 10:56 AM in response to Jimbooooooo

I'm going to guess that you have a gateway firewall around, that you have your DNS set to return the public IP address for your server, and that your gateway-firewall box doesn't "reflect" requests sent to your external IP address back into your network. That's more guesses than I'd prefer to make, but...

Details on your particular DNS services and network setup, please?

Can't view website locally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.