Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not syncing between Mac and iPhone

If I send an iMessage from my iPhone, it will send it no problem. When the other iPhone user responds, it will send their response to my iPhone and Messages app on my MacBook Pro, as it should, but if someone iMessages me without me making first contact, then my iPhone will not receive it, but my Message app will. All account info (Apple ID, password, etc.) between the two apps is correct. I'm running OSX Mountian Lion 10.8.3 on my MacBook Pro and I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:49 PM

102 replies

Apr 3, 2017 11:49 AM in response to h5c8h

I know this post was a while ago, but anyone who comes up with this problem may still be searching for an answer. Check your block numbers. My iPhone had to have its screen replaced, somehow following this I have managed to block my number without knowing.

I tried everything in all blogs for a fix, I reset my settings, I unticked boxes in iMessage on Mac and iPhone, I removed devices from my apple account, deauthorised and authorised devices, changed passwords, removed everything from my phone reset all settings and restored content, nothing was working. I was receiving messages fine on both devices, but if I sent a message from my Mac it wouldn't show on my iPhone, and vice versa. If I sent a message to myself as a test, I would not receive it on either device, it would not send as an iMessage, it would default to SMS, then I would never have the text returned, so I guess that's the tell tale sign right there. Hope this helps someone out there!! I was getting very frustrated when none of the fixes were working and in the end it was something very simple.

Mar 21, 2013 1:39 PM in response to h5c8h

HI,

When someone iMessages you without your calling them first which ID or iPhone number are they using ?

Obviously both the iPhone and the Mac version of Messages can be set to Send from either the Apple ID or the iPhone number as first choice.

Both number and Apple ID should also be listed as Receive addresses.

User uploaded file
8:39 PM Thursday; March 21, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Mar 21, 2013 8:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

This seems to be working so far. Messages has always been, at least for me, a little buggy ever since the release of it with Mountian Lion.

In Messages on my Mac I had to check my phone number (though I don't ever recall unchecking it) and that seemed to do the trick. I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes after I go throughout my day tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Mar 22, 2013 1:25 PM in response to h5c8h

HI,

For me the iOS 6.0.1 versions seemed to grey out the iPhone Number choice although it was ticked.

At one point though I lost that tick and the phone number from the Mac Version.

It was a bit of a run-around to get the iPhone Number ticked (removed Apple ID, Airplane Mode and then "On" again)

The iPhone number still remains greyed out for "Reached At" but can be selected at "Start Conversations from".

It seems you have them matched now.

User uploaded file
8:25 PM Friday; March 22, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 30, 2013 5:09 PM in response to h5c8h

My iMessages do not sync between my 3 devices, i.e. iPhone and home and work computer. My wife had the same issue with her iPhone and iPad. Messages would be sent or replied to and only one device would receive a response. She would send a message on her iPhone, the recipient would reply, but the iPad would only display the message, it would not deliver at all to the iPhone.

I have also had the same issue where messages would be sent from another iPhone user (in blue) and it would only deliver to my home or work iMac iMessage, not to my iPhone.

This only started to occur a few weeks ago (around 15 April to be precise), previous to that all messages were delivered to all devices, no problem. I dont recall doing any software updates since then.

So Apple, what is going on with iMessage ... why does it not sync between all devices running latest OS and iOS software? I havent changed my account settings, I'm tempted to turn it off on my home and work computer so that messages are delivered to my primary device, my iPhone.

May 2, 2013 2:54 AM in response to petersuchecki

I have exactly the same problem. I'm sitting here at my Mac with my iPhone next to me and and an iMessage just arrived on the Mac, but not the iPhone. I replied from the Mac and my reply shows on the iPhone, but not the message I'm replying to.

This used to work properly for me, too, and broke a few weeks ago, just like yours did. It's really annoying not getting messages when I'm out. People assume you get their SMSes and aren't replying.

All I can see to do is disable iMessage on the phone and limit people to SMSing me. :-(

Steve = : ^ )

May 2, 2013 6:27 AM in response to petersuchecki

I Am also having the exact same issue, which started only a few weeks ago. All time before then all of my devices synced perfectly. Yesterday I sent an iMessage from my iPhone to my husbands iPhone (his cell number was highlighted not email) and all of his responses only went to my iPad and Mac not my iPhone...this happens to at least 4 other persons I text who have iPhones

May 2, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Erroll

HI,

To be clear the iPhone Messages app can send SMS when it does not have a WiFI connection OR the incoming messages is an SMS from a Non Apple device.

The Sync process does not Sync the SMS messages that have arrived or sent out from the iPhone (you maybe reply to a non iPhone phone).

The Sync Process is only for iMessages (those to the Mac App and to iOS devices when you have a WiFi connection.

As a Mac may in fact have a wifi connection all the time or indeed be connected by Ethernet this can mean it "records" a one sided chat that you may have had on your iPhone that did not have a WiFi connection.

This "Boxed Chat" is where I was away (British Superbikes) that weekend and was texting my wife from my iPhone.

User uploaded file

The first two are about the hotel booking and the following day was about planning when to arrive home. My wife was recording the meeting and the World Superbikes at Aragon so she knew what the weather looked like.

User uploaded file
8:04 PM Thursday; May 2, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 2, 2013 5:15 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks and, yes, I realise SMS is not iMessage.

I'm sitting here at the computer with my iPhone next to me and iMessages arrive in Messages on the computer, but not on the iPhone.

If I send an iMessage from the iPhone it shows up in Messages on the computer and is received as an iMessage by the person I messaged.

If I send a message from the computer it's received by the person I messaged, but it doesn't show up on the iPhone.

Everything works except the iPhone doesn't receive anything: it doesn't receive iMessages sent to me, and it doesn't refect iMessages I send from the computer.

May 3, 2013 11:44 AM in response to Erroll

Hi,

I would then point out h5c8h's remarks about checking everything on the iPhone.

I would go a step further.

1) Is the iPhone using OS 6 at least ?

2) In Settings > Messages > Send and Receive is the Apple ID AND the iPhone Number ticked to say they are active ?

3) In the "Send From" spot is the iPhone using the same option as the Mac version of the app ?

(in my opinion this should not matter but I have seen posts to say it does).

If at that point all seems to be in place I would place the iPhone in Airplane Mode to break with the server.

After a few minutes wait I would take the iPhone out of Airplane Mode and restart the App on the Mac.

This Should get the pop up messages from the server to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number and the Apple ID which you should use the Accept button on.

If that does not have any effect remove the Apple ID on the iPhone before placing in Airplane Mode and Adding it back after taking it out of Airplane mode (Effectively resetting Messages)

User uploaded file
7:43 PM Friday; May 3, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 3, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

1) Is the iPhone using OS 6 at least ?: iPhone is latest OS.

2) In Settings > Messages > Send and Receive is the Apple ID AND the iPhone Number ticked to say they are active?: yes

3) In the "Send From" spot is the iPhone using the same option as the Mac version of the app?: yes - I'm using the phone no. in all places.

(in my opinion this should not matter but I have seen posts to say it does). I agree.

If at that point all seems to be in place I would place the iPhone in Airplane Mode to break with the server.: I've done a soft reset on the phone. That temporarily disconects it from everywhere.

After a few minutes wait I would take the iPhone out of Airplane Mode and restart the App on the Mac.

This Should get the pop up messages from the server to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number and the Apple ID which you should use the Accept button on: yes, that happens whenever I change settings on any of my devices. I always Accept.

If that does not have any effect remove the Apple ID on the iPhone before placing in Airplane Mode and Adding it back after taking it out of Airplane mode (Effectively resetting Messages): I haven't done this yet. A major problem is that the only way I can test this is by annoying someone else with an iOS device or Mac. :-[

May 3, 2013 7:12 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

PROBLEM SOLVED on my end by Completely Resetting Messages & Apple ID on my iPhone

1. On iPhone, closed the Messages app

2. Signed out of Apple ID (Settings>Messages>Send&Receive > Tapped Apple ID, Signed out)

3. Turned off iMessage using toggle switch (Settings>Messages)

Then the reverse...

4. Turned back on iMessage using toggle switch

5. Signed back in Apple ID

and all messages from that point on started flowing through in perfect sync between my iMac, iPad and iPhone.

Thanks for all your help folks - seems like the simple full reset does the trick if everything else is set up correctly.

May 4, 2013 12:03 PM in response to Danlirong

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

Now we have to wait for Errol to have the same fortune.

Turning Off Messages on the iPhone also breaks with the server the same way a Soft Reset and putting it into Airplane Mode does.

User uploaded file
8:03 PM Saturday; May 4, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage not syncing between Mac and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.