Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving Sent iMessages That Are Not For Me

Hi.

Twice over the last few months I have been receiving the sent messages from another iMessage user into my iMessages. The user has the same surname as me but has a different email address. I haven't yet received iMessages that are sent to this person - only his/her sent messages.

There seems to be no online option to contact Apple about this.

Why would this be happening?

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 3:54 AM

4 replies

Mar 21, 2013 7:40 AM in response to erugalatha

This usually is caused by another household member using the same Apple ID on their device(s) for iMessage. If that's the case, to fix this each person needs to use a separate ID for iMessage on their device(s). (You can continue to share the same ID for purchasing from the iTunes and App stores.)

Decide who's device(s) will be changing IDs, then have them go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive, tap the ID, sign out, the sign back in with a different ID. After doing so, you should no longer be getting each other's messages.

Apr 21, 2013 6:23 AM in response to randers4

That's not the issue.

I am getting the sent iMessages of the account of somebody that I do not know but has a similar surname (and apple id) as mine. The person whose messages I am receiving is not aware that their messages are appearing in my iMessages. This is a privacy issue.

When this person sends and iMessage I am receiving their sent iMessages. I do not receive iMessages from people contacting this person.

I contacted Apple about this and they were very interested and told me they would call me back. But since then I have heard nothing. I have contacted them twice about it since but nothing.

How do I know that my own sent messages are being delivered securely?

May 8, 2013 4:40 AM in response to erugalatha

I have just started having the same issues.

I have screen shot everything and will be calling apple tomorrow. I have spoken to the sender to warn him of this issue as I have received pictures of his children

This is a very serious privacy and security breach and it not acceptable by apple.

Please let me know if you have had any more

Communication with them.

Aug 8, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Pride

I spoke to an apple support person about this after I originally had this issue and was assured that the issue had been resolved. Last week I had another sent message from the same account as was sending them before.

This is a security breach. Apple seem to NOT care that this is happening as I have reported it to them twice now and both times they have said it will not happen again.

Again, I would ask the question how do I know that my own messages are being delivered to the correct person?

Receiving Sent iMessages That Are Not For Me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.