Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iphone only good w ATT, unlocked, other?

I just bought a new iphone 5, and so my ATT iphone 4 was deactivated I guess. I want to sell the iphone 4 but Im really confused how to advertise it.

I went into itunes and tried to do a IOS restore; however, with no SIM card it wouldn't allow me to do anything. So I put the old deactivated SIM in it and did a restore to the latest IOS - when it was done it said "Welcome" on the screen, it did not say unlocked anywhere.

Now this is done I have taken the SIM card out, but when you start the iphone up it prompts you for a SIM.

Can anyone tell me will a new buyer need to use ATT with this? Is this considered unlocked? thanks, just really confused.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 12:47 AM

18 replies

Mar 21, 2013 2:28 AM in response to luxorworld

You'll get far more money for your iPhone 4 if you request that AT&T authorize unlocking it. If you do that, that means the buyer can use it on any GSM network they want. Keep in mind, YOU must do this BEFORE you sell it. AT&T will only authorize the unlocking of an iPhone for current/former customers that used the phone on their network. There is no charge to get the phone unlocked. Use this:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

Mar 21, 2013 7:37 AM in response to luxorworld

When an iPhone is purchased through a carrier, the cost is subsidized, so the phone is locked to that particular carrier, which in your case is AT&T. Contrary to what wjosten stated, the phone can be unlocked through a request submitted by the individual who purchases your iPhone, whether or not they are an AT&T customer, which is stated right on the web site that I gave you, "Non-Customer OR Paid No Commitment". I know, because I had the iPhone 4 I purchased off Craigslist, unlocked by submitting a request myself. When the original owner has a phone unlocked, it saves the purchaser time and will add about $50 in value to the phone, so that's something to consider.

Should you decide to not submit a request yourself, and you sell it on Craigslist, make sure the customer gets a receipt, as they will have to submit that to AT&T along with their request. If you sell the phone on ebay, a receipt is generated automatically.

Hope that answers your question.

Mar 21, 2013 8:44 AM in response to seanachai51

seanachai51 wrote:

Contrary to what wjosten stated, the phone can be unlocked through a request submitted by the individual who purchases your iPhone, whether or not they are an AT&T customer

Really? Well, contrary to what you've posted, these are in fact AT&T's requirements:

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock is:
    • A current AT&T customer, or
    • A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
  • The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
  • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
  • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

From here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820&title=What%20are%20t he%20eligibility%20requirements%20for%20unlocking%20iPhone%3F#fbid=L5pP0KWR9XC

Mar 23, 2013 8:38 PM in response to luxorworld

I submitted a request to ATT and got an email saying to restore in itunes and after doing so your phone will be unlocked. I restored it in itunes but after go the same Welcome screen as before - no mention of the phone being unlocked, it just said:

Welcome to Your New iPhone

Would you like to set up this Iphone as a new iPhone or restore all of your information from a previous backup?

I read on other forum posts that said it must say "unlocked" on this screen after restoring.

Is my phone unlocked?

Is my iphone only good w ATT, unlocked, other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.