Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I want to buy Ipad 4 and a Macbook Pro. My question is how I can know if they support Armenian language?

Hi, I want to buy Ipad 4 and a Macbook Pro. My question is how I can know if they support Armenian language?

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:34 AM

14 replies

Mar 21, 2013 6:07 AM in response to Anzord

Anzord wrote:

Yes.

iOS devices support the display of Armenian text and webpages, but have no keyboard yet, and no Armenian user interface. An Armenian keyboard useful for some purposes can be found in the app store.

OS X devices support the display of Armenian text (Mshtakan font) and also come with two Armenian keyboard layouts. Armenian user interface is not supported yet.

Mar 21, 2013 6:28 AM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I checked on my computer with Mountain Lion 10.8.3

For such a question you need to look at system preferences/language & text/input sources. There you would have seen the Armenian keyboard layouts, which indicate basic support for reading and writing the language is present.

The article you reference makes some valid points but I think gives a misleading, overly pessimistic impression of what OS X can do these days:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46870715/s/m10lmac8.html#typing

Mar 21, 2013 12:10 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

And as far as I know changing the keyboard does not provide that

I was referring to reading and writing documents, email, webpages, messages, tweets, etc.

The user interface is usually secondary to that, and translations into unusual languages are often so poor that people who know enough english to post here will often prefer to use English UI in any case.

Mar 21, 2013 12:32 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

Changing the keyboard in that section only changes the input source, I don't believe it changes incoming emails, tweets, etc. That has to be done in the Language section of that screen.

You will be able to read docs, emails, webpages, tweets etc in your own language as long as the OS has a font for that language, without changing anything. The presence of a keyboard layout guarantees that the OS has a font for your language, but switching to that layout is only required when you want to compose these things in your own language.

The Language section only affects the dialogues, menus, etc of the OS. You can set it to anything you want, like Chinese, and still read and write all the text you need to in Armenian.

Mar 21, 2013 6:19 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I know if it were me i would want to change the Language system wide, not just on the keyboard.

Of course! But in practice there are more than 40 languages where users currently make do with just the read/write capability offered by fonts and keyboards, and I'm sure they would not have wanted Apple to postpone including that until they got around to translating the entire OS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.