Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any good anti-rootkit and anti-keylogger for OSX ?

Hi,

Is there any reliable anti-rootkit and anti-keylogger software for OSX ?

I don't mind if its an all-in-one suite with anti-virus, I'm just less conceren about viruses so it's doesn't matter to me too much.

Many thanks!

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 6:52 AM

12 replies

Mar 11, 2017 2:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

Not a very comforting response..

From The Register

Read the complete article here: which OS can be hacked by the CIA or cybercriminals…

https://www.theregister.co....

"OS X: Users of Apple's OS X shouldn't look too smug, however. The CIA has tools for you too – pages of them.

A lot of hacking tools cover OS X El Capitan, but presumably these have been updated to subvert new versions of the operating system. That said, it does seem through reading these files that Apple poses a significantly more difficult challenge for the CIA than Redmond's code.

Analysts note that the operating system can be resilient to applications that try to slip malware onto a Mac. But it's still possible to whitelist spying software; subvert NetInstall images, creating zombie programs; and surreptitiously get at the kernel.

One interesting project the files touch on is dubbed QuarkMatter. This is a technique for hiding spying software persistently on an OS X system by using an EFI driver stored on the EFI system partition. Another, dubbed SnowyOwl, uses a pthread in an OpenSSH client to potentially pull off remote monitoring of a target system.

The documents also show a project called HarpyEagle that analyzed Apple's Airport Extreme firmware for private keys, and also Time Capsule systems."

Mar 11, 2017 2:20 PM in response to 17458

Apple can really do nothing as they have CIA agents undercover working as their own engineers.

So the CIA, NSA, <insert organisation>, recruits very talented young kid out of university. They train, brainwash and incentivise. They create his new identity and send him to get hired at <insert tech company> for the express purpose of espionage. You think this can be stopped?

Infiltration for the purpose of espionage is their basic function; that's what they get paid to do.

Mar 21, 2013 10:05 AM in response to v470510c05

First, there's no software out there that can reliably detect all possible keyloggers. There are legit keyloggers that won't be detected by everything, for example. If you think that someone malicious has had access to your computer, either physical access or through a back door installed through some other method, then the only reliable response is to erase the hard drive and then reinstall the system and all applications from scratch.

In addition, the term "rootkit" (when used correctly) is a very specific kind of malware that is installed to give the hacker escalated root-level access to the computer. In modern single-user systems, this is not particularly meaningful, for a variety of reasons. Fearing rootkits and not more general malware is kind of like going to Africa and being on your guard against lions, but not against hyenas, hippos, elephants, leopards, poisonous snakes, etc.

What is the specific issue you're trying to solve? If it's just a general concern about protecting yourself against malware, see:

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg

(Formerly at the reedcorner address the others have referred to.)

Sep 5, 2016 2:28 PM in response to v470510c05

I know this is super late answer... but I would like to add it anyways for the future. - on my experience, as soon as your computer has been compromised.. there is no way to know (By simple users means) how deep an infection is. So the best, it's not to play fool and do not believe that this many not happen to you because you have nothing important, the best it's to just backup all your data files and erase completely your computer start over from scratch. never use software from Piratebay for example or cracked software, ALL OF THEM has been compromised.

even if you have nothing to loose, the hackers may use your computer as a bridge to attack others entities or agencies and your computer may be the one that will show up like the one who has doing it. so you don't want it, for sure.

So if you computer has been compromised.. that's it - backup data, erase it all from scratch and start over no matter how long it may takes.

Any good anti-rootkit and anti-keylogger for OSX ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.