Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backups ONLY during Power Nap

I have a USB3.0 hard drive attached to a Gen 5 AirPort Extreme for the in-laws. Is it possible to set up their MacBook Airs (2011 and 2012 models) to perform Time Machine backups to the HDD connected to the AE only during Power Nap? They both hate when it starts working wirelessly, and they always shut the whole process off.

If I can somehow figure out how to cause TM to ONLY backup during Power Nap, I can set that up when they're not around, and they'll be none the wiser that their data is being backed up. I've found this software, but it doesn't have an option to backup only during Power Nap.

http://www.klieme.com/TimeMachineScheduler.html

Other ideas?

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 9:00 AM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2013 9:33 AM in response to EEaudio08

Just out of curiosity, is there something on the MBAs that causes large incremental backups (such as a virtual Windows partition), or would otherwise cause a TM backup to be "intrusive?"

The only way I can tell TM is doing a backup is if I happen to notice the active TM icon in the menu bar, and most backups take less than a minute and are virtually unnoticeable, even on my 2008 Mac Pro. I would expect 2011-2012 Airs to suffer no performance degradation during a backup.

Mar 21, 2013 9:51 AM in response to EEaudio08

EEaudio08 wrote:

There is a popup dialog that shows up when backing up wirelessly to the AirPort Extreme's connected HDD. I'm not quite sure why it does this during wireless backup, because on my 17" MBP, I also only see the icon spinning in the menu bar.

If I could shut off that dialog, that would also solve some problems.

Aha! Thanks. A popup would definitely be more intrusive then the menu icon.

Time Machine backups ONLY during Power Nap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.