Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Thermaltake Silver River 5G USB 3.0 External Drive keep disappearing?

Hi All,

Having major problems with a Thermaltake Silver River 5G USB 3.0 External Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153160). External drive contains Western Digital 2TB drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891). I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.3 on a 2012 Mac Mini.

Basically, I can plug-in or turn the drive on, it mounts fine. Can run a Time Machine Backup. At some point (and I think it's when the computer goes to sleep), the drive hangs and I can no longer access it. Time Machine will hang on "Looking for backup disk". Drive will still appear in Finder, but I cannot "Eject" it. I've also tried to do a "umount -f" on it from the Terminal. Disk Utility still "sees" the device and the disk (partition?), but can't run a repair.

The only way I've found to fix this problem is to reboot the machine. I've crawled through the System log, but I don't see anything that points to a problem.

What else can I check? I'm have no idea if it's the hard drive, the external USB enclousure, Mac OS X, or the Mac Mini that's the problem. Please let me know if there is more information I could provide to help solve this problem. It's really frustrating!!!

Thanks!

-Ben

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:52 PM

17 replies

Mar 21, 2013 8:30 PM in response to bmnave

Normally I do not let my Mac's auto sleep and only put them to sleep after I have ejected and switched off my Time Machine and Bootable Clone Drives. Then vise-versa wake the Mac and switch on the drives.

To me it seems like maybe the Green Drive is partly, if not at fault here. They have WDs blasted nod off firmware on them that only works with Windows and certain chipsets.

see WD Green

You might check with WD and see what they think or if they have a fix.

Other than that, I might switch out the Green for one of there Blue's or Black's.

Apr 18, 2013 9:04 PM in response to bmnave

I have a Thermaltake USB3.0 enclosure (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=717003 4&CatId=2780 ) into which I installed a 1T HD. On my late 2012 iMac (OSX 10.8.3), it does exactly the same thing: It mounts and works just fine for a while, then it seems to disappear. Then when Time Machine tries to access it, it hangs. I am thinking its the Thermaltake's fault, not the HD inside. I had been using the same HD in a NexStarCX USB2.0 enclosure, and it was working fine. Maybe there will be a firmware upgrade for the Thermaltake?

Apr 26, 2013 1:34 PM in response to bmnave

I received an answer from Thermaltake technical support. I asked if perhaps there was a firmware upgrade to prevent their drive from disappearing. They wrote on 22/04/2013:

Thank you for contacting Thermaltake Customer Service.

No firmware to do it. Just set system to never sleep. System will cut/disconnect the USB when it into sleep mode.

I wrote back saying I have never had to do that with other USB devices. And I routinely allow my system to Sleep. Is that an issue with their drive housings? They replied on 23/04/2013:

that is issue with sleep mode.

I don't know if this occurs with other USB 3.0 drives and Time Machine. Somehow, I doubt it. Anyway, it sounds as though my Thermaltake is destined for eBay...

Jul 1, 2013 10:18 PM in response to bmnave

Having just about the exact same issues. I'm using the Thermaltake Max 5g enclosure. The problem becomes most prominent when my mac goes to sleep and then wakes up. The drive just seems to go into a continuous read frenzy and never stops - soon after all resources and apps start locking up. Using a macbook pro 2012. Never had this issue - ever - until i started using this enclosure...

Jul 9, 2013 7:58 AM in response to vthree

I have a Western Digital 3TB drive Red from over a year and partitioned into four discs, obviously reading 3TB divided into four discs it takes more time than a 500 Mb. as if they were four disks of 800 Mb to be mounted one at a time.

He stops, if not used with no need to turn it off (it remains in standbuy)

is quite fast,

What do you expect more?

P.S. it is probably a problem with the eclosure of Thermaltake

Jul 9, 2013 6:40 PM in response to bmnave

Over the years I had several such problems with external drives either not booting or working correctly with any version of the Mac OS. So now I always buy my external drives and other peripherals from OWC at http://www.macsales.com/.

Their external drives always boot correctly and allow me to include my favorite hard drives such as Western Digital. They also guarantee their stuff 100% to work correctly. They specialize in Macs.

And no, I do not work for Other World computing, but I always recommend them to avoid what you’ve just had to go through.🙂

Why does my Thermaltake Silver River 5G USB 3.0 External Drive keep disappearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.