Brand new mac mini (Mountain lion still in start-up mode)
OId mac mini
Network & firewire cable
I don't have
An external display
I want to setup the new mac mini as a server, and migrate my data from a time capsule back up of an older mac mini.
How can I do this without an external display? I read that you can just plug the new Mac Mini into the network and remote desktop will see it in set-up mode, but this doesn't work.
If you have no external keyboard (even a Windows USB one would do) then you have no way to boot the new Mac mini in Target Disk Mode.
If you have a keyboard and can boot the Mac mini in Target Disk Mode then you can do the following -
- Boot the new Mac mini in Target Disk Mode by holding down the T key
- Connect it via either FireWire or Thunderbolt cable to the MacBook Pro
- Tell the MacBook Pro to boot from the Mac mini which will act as external hard disk drive
- The MacBook Pro screen and keyboard will then be in use but you will be configuring the software on the Mac mini hard disk
- You can then turn on Screen Sharing
- Shutdown the Mac mini and thereafter do everything via Remote Control