Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When are they going to fix the battery issue with 4s and are they coming out with 6.1.4?

Ever since I updated to the 6.1.2 and now 6.1.3 the battery ***** even when its on the charger it drains to 95% then starts charging again after Im using it for 2hrs. I got this 4s phone in june and Ive had no problems until the 6.1.2 and 6.1.3 update. When are they going to correct this issue? Ive reset everything and still doesnt fix the problem. Is there going to be another update like maybe 6.1.4 that might fix this? I only use my phone everyday for facebook, twitter, and instagram and backup all my pics everyday but only keep about 100-130 pics on there only have 90 contacts. Really hope they fix this battery issue asap.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 2:29 AM

I also feel my iPhone has some sort of battery issues - it has been going off a few times when the battery still has some 20% left...

Over the phone apple has told me to restore placing the phone in "recovery model" - which I did last night - not sure how helfult that would be though...

9 replies

Mar 22, 2013 3:41 AM in response to countrylizzard

No one here would have any way of knowing if or when the next version of iOS will be released or what it will affect.

As far as battery issues, there simply is not a battery drain issue in 6.1.2. I cannot speak to 6.1.3 as I've not upgraded yet.

99% of users reporting issues are able to resolve battery drain problems by doing basic troubleshooting from the Users Guide which is reset, restart, restore (first from backup then as new).

Mar 22, 2013 1:34 PM in response to countrylizzard

countrylizzard wrote:

Not sure what recovery mode is on this phone.

DFU mode is what they intended, I'm almost certain of that. A simple google search will reveal how to get into DFU mode.

countrylizzard wrote:

I reset the location privacy but thats it.

That has nothing to do with troubleshooting battery life.

countrylizzard wrote:

I dont want to have to get a new phone if I dont have to if Im gonna have the same issue as this one.

That makes no logical sense. Try the basic troubleshooting as already suggested. If it does not resolve the issue then the device has a battery or other hardware issue. Take it to Apple for evaluation.

Why would you prefer to keep a device with an issue rather than have a fully functional device? That makes no logical sense.

Mar 27, 2013 11:24 AM in response to diesel vdub

This is a real issue, Diesel. I was in the Apple store yesterday and there were 3 of us with the problem. It's not some ******** troubleshooting thing - it's a software issue that affects every iteration of iPhone : 4, 4s, 5 - no one's immune - although, perhaps there's a variable. Say, maybe it only affects your phone if you have a certain App on it. But, I will tell you, it's a broad based problem.

And it's not just a power issue. Try shutting down your phone --- it'll just re-boot again. Hello FAA?

Reset seems to be the only way around it. Get the phone in DFU mode - you can find out how online- it's easy. But what a lot of posts don't tell you is what to do after that.

Here's what: hold down the command key when you press the reset button. You should be presented with an option to install an older OS, rather than 1.6.3. I recommend going back to 1.6.1 - everyone's troubles seemed to come from the later OSs

The phone should reset/reload and you'll be back in business. Last night I did a DFU reset before I knew about the Command key thing, so it reinstalled 1.6.3. It seems to have helped my power issue a little, but the phone still won't shut down. So I'll reset this afternoon and try to get back to 1.6.1.

This is an incredible drag and a real warning sign. Apple has been putting out OS updates every couple of weeks and clearly their quality control is slipping. Can you imagine if an airline decided that you couldn't board with a iPhone if you couldn't shut it down?

Mar 27, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Jimdog

Jimdog wrote:

This is a real issue, Diesel.

No more so that with any previous version of iOS.

Jimdog wrote:

perhaps there's a variable. Say, maybe it only affects your phone if you have a certain App on it.

That would be a problem with the app in question, not with iOS.

Jimdog wrote:

And it's not just a power issue. Try shutting down your phone --- it'll just re-boot again. Hello FAA?

That's a hardware issue or a really borked install of iOS, not a widespread issue with iOS.

Jimdog wrote:

Get the phone in DFU mode - you can find out how online- it's easy. But what a lot of posts don't tell you is what to do after that.

Here's what: hold down the command key when you press the reset button. You should be presented with an option to install an older OS, rather than 1.6.3. I recommend going back to 1.6.1 - everyone's troubles seemed to come from the later OSs

There is no supported method to downgrade the iOS on a device. Putting the device in DFU mode certainly does not allow this.

Any other mis-statements that you would like debunked?

Mar 27, 2013 12:35 PM in response to diesel vdub

Love your tone. Very helpful.

What I quoted above, re: downgrading OS, is from the iPhoneFreakz page concerning DFU reset on Google. Not out trying to dispense misstatements to be debunked. Trying to solve a problem.

I find it very hard to believe that, if there were 3 of us in the Apple store with the same problem in a ten minute period, that's it's a "borked install". Especially since the same thing is happening after a full reset. If it's been happening for years and other OS versions, shame on Apple for not having a handle on it now. Or a support page to walk us through it. I shouldn't be dealing with diesel vdub - I should be being helped through it by Apple.

Could it be a 3rd party app that's screwing it up? Of course. Although, in trouble shooting, I shut all apps down and went through them one by one to see if a weird setting was screwing it up. I'm not an idiot.

What I am is ****** and disillusioned. I don't want to spend days troubleshooting and fixing a phone that was working perfectly a couple of weeks ago.

It's been a pleasure, Diesel.

When are they going to fix the battery issue with 4s and are they coming out with 6.1.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.