Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single rank vs dual rank memory for 27" i7 iMac

I just purchased a 27" iMac. 3.4 i7 with 8MB RAM. I am trying to fill my other two slots and was planning on adding another 8.(2x4)

Kingston have two that come up as compatible. However, one is a Single rank and one is dual rank. They are both listed as compatible.

Not all suppliers carry both-some carry one or the other. I am not savvy with memory specifications so two questions:

Can I use either?

Is one better than the other?

Part # KTA-MB1600/4G vs KTA-MB1600S/4G

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=2&Mfr=APP&Line=iMac%20Intel% 20Core%20i5/i7&Model=80276

Thanks

NJ

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 4:15 AM

10 replies

Mar 22, 2013 4:47 AM in response to njwight

You may be able to use either one (single versus double). Rank has to do with how the memory is organized for the controller. It is not good practice to mix dimm's of different ranks. Unless someone here has tested the exact memory you are considering, I doubt you'll get a solid answer. That is why I recommended two companies that garrantee their memory will work with your mac.

Mar 22, 2013 5:58 AM in response to ssls6

Thanks. So I guess this would be the Crucial choice?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148608

I guess I could also drop 2x8 in if I wanted? The banks don;t have to be the same size-just the same specification, correct? DDR3 1600 SODIMM's? I never read in the forums of people going from 8 to 24...

Appreciate your help sorting this.

Cheers,

NJ

Mar 22, 2013 6:38 AM in response to njwight

Technically, you can mix any size RAM DIMMS (2GB, 4GB, 8GB etc) in either bank or across banks as long as they meet Apple specs (appears to be 1600MHz DDR3 in your case)

However it is not good practice to mix different sizes in the same bank. If the DIMMs are matched pairs (ie the same size 2GB, 4GB, 8GB etc) memory speed will be optimized/maximized. If they are not matched, memory access speed is reduced because there is more overhead to access a non-matched pair.

So, your idea of 2x4GB in Bank 1 + 2x8GB in Bank 2 will be fine. Just don't mix them up as 4GB + 8GB in each bank, even though it works out to the same total amount of RAM.

Don't worry about single vs. dual rank; and in any event you shouldn't mix them. You may want to pull the existing DIMMS out of your iMac to see what they are. Look on the label - it will start with either "4GB 1Rx4" or "4GB 2Rx4". The number before the "R" indicates whether it is single or dual rank. I'd get the same spec memory as what came with your iMac. Go to crucial.com and have it scan your new Mac and it will tell you exactly what RAM is compatible.

Single rank vs dual rank memory for 27" i7 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.