Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen recording in Quicktime - no sound

Here's what I have:

User uploaded file

Quicktime Screen Recording seems to only take the audio thru the internal mic if you turn it up! Any direct sound options?

Thank you.

Rob

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 7:53 AM

9 replies

Feb 10, 2017 9:41 PM in response to AquaLavaLamp

AquaLavaLamp, if you've downloaded the install package and have the file "Soundflower.kext" living in your /Library/Extensions/ directory, then there is one more thing you'll need to do to get your system audio routed to QuickTime to make screencast recordings. From: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases/

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"
in the the panel that appears on the right, select "Built-in Output" AND "Soundflower (2ch)"
then hit the button with the gear icon bottom left and select "use this device for sound output" (you should still be hearing your iTunes output -- it is now going to both Soundflower and the built-in speakers)

May 1, 2013 1:35 PM in response to robcramer

Hey Rob

I've been really surprised at how hard it has been to configure Quicktime to make a screen recording (tutorial) with Garage Band - and recording audio from both GB and my internal mic or plugged in mic. Seems you need a similar thing but without the internal mic.

I searched all the Apple support areas and couldn't get any useful help at all. Turns out we need to use Soundflower - a free audio utility.

Here's the blog post that saved the day (and my sanity):

http://paradeproductions.com/wordpress/making-a-free-screencast-with-quicktime-a nd-your-computers-internal-sound/

Good luck!

May 22, 2016 3:17 PM in response to robcramer

Hey, I have a question about Quicktime Player. I'm just trying to make a simple screen recording of this video playing online. I record the whole thing, but there's no sound. I don't have anything plugged in and my setting for my sound are all up. Nothing is on mute. The video's on Youtube and the volume for that is up to. Is there a deeper application in my system that could possibly have the volume down? Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Nov 23, 2016 8:32 PM in response to robcramer

In the 2016, with OSX Sierra and Quicktime 10.4 you will need to get a virtual Audio Device like SoundFlower to record your systems audio.

Once you have SoundFlower installed just do these steps:

1. Change your Mac's output to SoundFlower prior to recording in Quicktime.User uploaded file
  2. Start your Quicktime Screen Capture session.
    User uploaded file
  3. Set the Screen Recording audio source to Soundflower.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you are done recording switch your output Audio Device back to the normal setting.

Screen recording in Quicktime - no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.