Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to overide Admin password please?

Trying to help a friend out with an imac A1207 running snow leopard, he bought it at a local auction and the seller powered it on and all looked well so he purchased but while taking it home, it got knocked against a wall and he thinks this caused the screen to show "in pieces" for when he got home and powered on it was only then he saw the screen with that problem. I need to reinstall the OS in "Safe mode" becuase whenever the system goes to the desktop the normal way we are seeing theUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file shattered-looking screen so everything is in bits and pieces as the first screenshot shows so I cannot get to see the options of the boot disk to click on anything. In Safe mode the screen is normal but it is asking for the Admin password and my friend does not know it since he just bought it from an auction. Is there any way to overide the admin password so I can reinstall the OS or is there another way while in Safe mode to reinstall the OS without having to bypass the password screen please?

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 10:14 AM

75 replies

Mar 22, 2013 10:47 AM in response to mikehende

Up to and including OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Macs were supplied with (normally) 2 grey disks. One should say OSX Restore (or similar) and it should be indicated on the disk the version of the OS. These disks are machine specific - the grey disk from one model of iMac won't work with anothr model. The second disk contains the extra iLife apps.

If it is the correct OS X restore disk it should boot the machine and enable you to reset the admin password. I'm guessing the disk is either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

This link has instructions if you don't have a disk but towards the bottom the instructions if you do have a working disk.;
http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/10/forgot-mac-password-how-to-reset-mac-password/

To see whether the grey disk works try putting it in the optical drive and restarting holding down the C key and hopefully - if it is the correct disk - it'll boot. If so follow the instructions at the bottom of the link. If not, use the Single User Mode instructions.

Mar 22, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Paul_31

One should say OSX Restore (or similar) and it should be indicated on the disk the version of the OS.

One's labeled Mac OS X Install DVD (only installs the OS and basic Apple apps, such as Safari and TextEdit) and the other is labeled Application Install DVD (installs other apps, such as the iLife ones, and has the Apple Hardware Test program). If the seller failed to provide them, get replacement ones from AppleCare.

Mar 24, 2013 7:17 AM in response to mikehende

I'm afraid I'm stuck for ideas. More info about Safe Boot here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

I'm wondering if safe boot doesn't load certain graphics drivers whereas a normal boot does. I'm just guessing here and may be talking nonsense, but it might explain the different behaviour.

Going right back to your first post, I wonder whether the seller booted into Safe Boot when he demonstrated it to avoid showing a likely hardware fault.

It's beginning to look like a trip to the workshop 😟

Mar 24, 2013 7:33 AM in response to mikehende

Just seen your edited post above my last one.

Did you do this to erase and install? Rrestart with the install disk in the optical drive holding down the C key. The Mac should boot slowly from the DVD. At the first screen chose your language and from the next screen from the menu bar select Utilities>Disk Utility......

For detailed instructions have a look at Pondini's excellent guide:

http://pondini.org/OSX/DU1.html

When you boot up it'll be as if the Mac was launching for the first time and you'll need to set it up as a new machine.

How to overide Admin password please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.