Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2006 MacBook Pro or Aluminium MacBook?

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a late 2006, 2.33GHz 15" MacBook Pro at a very good price - and it's a great bit of kit. However, I also just found (and bought) a late 2008 aluminium 2GHz MacBook at a very good price too.

I obviously don't need both machines and I have found both machines are by far good enough for what I need them for.

I've had to 'hack' Mountain Lion on to the MBP as it's not officially supported whereas the MacBook runs it natively. The MacBook Pro has the discrete X1600 w/ 256mb VRAM. The MacBook has the integrated 9400M w/ 256MB VRAM. The MacBook can take 8GB DDR3 RAM, the MacBook Pro can only take 3GB DDR2. The MacBook Pro has a quicker (clocked) Core 2 Duo processor, but the MacBook has a newer iteration. They both have backlit keyboards (the MacBook was a BTO). The MacBook Pro has a far nicer keyboard (IMO) but I use it/them at the desk with the 20" Cinema Display most of the time anyway.

What MacBook do I keep, and what one do I sell? They're both lovely machines, the MacBook Pro was obviously much more high-end at the time, but the MacBook has newer technologies (DDR3, more recent gen. CPU, Mountain Lion etc.) & although it has the unibody construction, it's still super easy to get open to upgrade this & that. Thanks.

Late 2008 13.3" MacBook 2GHz-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 1:33 PM

2 replies

Late 2006 MacBook Pro or Aluminium MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.