Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mountain lion 10.8.3 - repair your Library

Hi,

I have recently run the Mountain Lion 10.8.3 update.

Since it restarted, a window saying "Mac OS X needs to repair your library to run applications. Type your password to allow this."

I type my password, but about 10 seconds later the same window pops back up.

Also, my iPhoto won't open since the update.

Help please!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 3:08 PM

10 replies

Mar 22, 2013 4:13 PM in response to washingtonhector

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

First, empty the Trash.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 -o -acl \) 2> /dev/null | wc -l

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

The output of this command, on a line directly below what you entered, will be a number such as "41." Please post it in a reply.

Mar 24, 2013 3:14 AM in response to washingtonhector

Can you be more precise, please?
You renamed your user library? With which name, just to ask, ANY?
And what happened then, after restarting?
Did the System change just the name, back to Libray?
Or did it make kinda clone of it?
And what about the renamed libray folder then in this second case?
Or... did I understand a Holly Sh***? 😁

Mar 24, 2013 2:39 PM in response to washingtonhector

hi, I had same problem and seemed to have stumbled over a fix (for me at least)

I viewed the Library as follows:

in Finder, select "Go" , hold down "Alt" and you will see your Library show up in the list.

Select it and do "cmd + i" for get info,

I then unlocked the permissions and then applied read write access to subfolders (the cog looking button),

this worked to prevent the pop up recurring.

I dont know why this worked but I tried it out of desperation as I figured it was a permission problem with the account and the library.

Anyhow, I appear to be in good shape again, for how long who knows but this Mac malarkey isnt as cut and dried as I believed it would be!

Good luck

mountain lion 10.8.3 - repair your Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.