Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving a copy to new drive = missing audio

Hi, thanks for taking a moment out of your busy schedule.

As I "save a copy" of a song/project to another/new external drive to take to a mix, upon opening the saved copy on another system, files are missing.

Is there a way other than "saving a copy as" that would make sure I'm copying all the audio files with the project? (I'm guessing some of the files/regions are on misc. drives.)

As well, fyi, when I open the project on my main system/drive it always says files are missing, I hit skip all and everything is there and plays fine.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much & best,

Yohan

Logic 9.1.8

Mac O.S. 10.68

Quadcore

External Glyph's and G-drive's

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 6:31 PM

6 replies

Mar 22, 2013 7:24 PM in response to yohanaton

When you save your project, use the 'save all assets" feature that appears in the dialog box and check all the appropriate boxes.

As far as missing files are concerned.. Are all those drives being indexed in Spotlight?

If any of them are Fat32 formatted drives then specifically disable them in Spotlight but be aware, Spotlight, which is used by Logic (and Kontakt) to keep a track of where all the files are.. does not work well with FAT32 formatted drives. Backup your data onto another drive and reformat them as Mac OS Extended

Also, are you using Kontakt and is it Kontakt's Library samples that are going missing?

Mar 22, 2013 8:21 PM in response to yohanaton

This may be the cause of your issue......

Note the difference between saving audio inside the project folder and saving it outside the project folder... You want to make sure you are dojng the former and not the latter

The following should be taken into account when copying or moving project folders:

• When a project is saved with Include Assets selected, and the recording path is pointing to a location inside the project folder, the recording path is relative. This means that the recording path for the audio data moves with the project, making it possible to move the project folder in the Finder or use the Save As command.
  • When manually setting a recording path (File > Project Settings > Recording > Core Audio Recording Folder) outside the current project folder, the recording path is absolute. This means that the recording path for the audio data always remains the same, even after using the Save As command to save as a new project or when moving the project file in the Finder. This is important if you prefer to record all audio data into a single location outside the project folder.

Other than that, I cannot think of another possible cause at this time......

Mar 23, 2013 5:55 AM in response to yohanaton

Hi, so a quick update...

Tried the various suggestions and files still were missing from the bin.

Solution = delete key(not delete) unused audio from bin, then go through and double click on each file with an exclamation point noting missing audio. This brings up locate window, Locate> manually go through the drive to find the missing audio...

Weird thing was the audio files were being saved to the correct place... the project just was not loading them for some reason...

Anyway, a bit of a pain in the butt, but seems to be ok after saving and reopening again...

thanks so much for your help & best,

Yohan

Saving a copy to new drive = missing audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.