Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-apple bluetooth keyboard will not pair with iPad

I recently purchased a bluetooth keyboard for my 3rd gen iPad, but have been unable to pair it with the iPad. I can pair it with my iPhone 4, but when I attempt to connect it to the iPad, I get the "pairing unsuccessful" message. I un-paired it from my iPhone, I've updated to the latest iOS 6.1.3, reset the iPad and keyboard - all to no avail. Am I missing something?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 7:23 PM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2013 8:37 PM in response to Xyzzy.11

Check the batteries on your keyboard, probably not the problem but just in case. Also check and see if the keyboard is compatible with the iPad 3, it should say on the box you got it in. If theres an off/on switch, make sure you bluetooth switched on, and no restrictions restricting this on your iPad the restrictions part of your settings. If all of that is fine, then you might have to reset your iPad, or check out this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4111

Mar 22, 2013 10:22 PM in response to K3Nx2Y

The battery is fully charged, but there is nothing on the box relating to supported iPad models. As I said, this works with an iPhone 4 - same generation as the iPad and same iOS version. I have reset both the iPad and the keyboard, yet pairing still fails. One suggestion was to update the keyboard firmware, but it doesn't appear obvious as to how one would do that.

Mar 23, 2013 5:19 PM in response to K3Nx2Y

There is no specific brand - the box just says "bluetooth keyboard for iPad 2". I know it says ipad 2, but I have other accessories that are similarly named that work with both. I suspect there is no way of updating the firmware. I'll just have to get another one that works with subsequent iPads and part with this one. I like the keyboard though and it has useful keys not available on the Logitech model. Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Non-apple bluetooth keyboard will not pair with iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.