Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

broker cord on power adapter

The power adapter for my MacBook Pro is broken. The magnetized part came off the cord. Can this be fixed or do I need to get a new adapter?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 7:54 PM

You'll need to buy a new adapter because noone really repairs those.

6 replies

Mar 22, 2013 8:04 PM in response to DLMiller

I had one of those apart to try to fix it. The metal end has two alignment pins, the shorter one is for the cord end.

It appeared to me that the metal end was pressed on, and a substance like Crazy Glue Gel was used to convince it to stay in place. At US$80, it may be worth it to try cementing that metal piece back in place. The worst thing that can happen is that it does not work. (it already does not work.)

If you have to buy a new one, the 85 Watt unit works for all, it just does not work as hard on a smaller Mac. It will not overcharge or do anything bad to the battery. It is a little bit heavier to carry if your only needs the smaller one.

Mar 22, 2013 10:03 PM in response to drjhats

How old is it? When under warranty, Apple should replace it of course.

My adapter wire frayed and broke and I realized it was out of warranty. Decided it was worth a try with Apple anyway (heard lots of stories) so I stopped by the Genius Bar. We both knew the adapter was out of warranty but guess what, they handed me a new one no questions asked. No guarantees, but that may be an option.

Sep 5, 2013 9:31 AM in response to drjhats

The cord on our Macbook Pro started to fray near the end which connects to the computer. I tried calling Apple, they wanted $19.95 just to speak with someone. Are you kidding me!!

We decided to drive to the Apple store in the Christiana Mall, in Delaware. The technician replaced the power adapter at no charge even though it was well out of warranty. Thank you.

broker cord on power adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.