Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me!! My Power Mac G5 is stuck at the grey apple logo screen and nothing is working!

My computer froze a few weeks ago and I got a grey screen that told me I needed to restart the computer. When I restarted, the computer froze on the grey screen with the apple logo. No pin wheel. Nothing. Eventually the fan begins running at warp speed. I've scoured this discussion board for a solution and I've read every possible thing I can find on the Internet regarding this issue. Nothing is helping. I've tried reseating memory, resetting PRAM, I replaced the PRAM battery, all the standard stuff on the message boards. I can't run a disk, i cant boot from a disk holding down c, but I can hold down the option key to open the hardware test, I've done the extended and short test and passed both.

When I hold the shift+command+v it tells me-

com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement isn't a valid Mach-o (magic is cefaedfe)

Error mapping module file com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement

Can't map com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies " "

Can't alloc class " " blah blah blah

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of kernel panic. This computer has been pretty much trouble free in the 8 years I've owned it. I had recently upgraded iLife to iLife 07 before the trouble happened.

I've also been able to get it to boot once or twice since then. I get a message that says" the computer was shut down blah blah do you want to send a report to apple?" I'm able to do some basic stuff like back up some pictures onto my external hard drive and then it will freeze again and the fan will come on. While I had access to the desktop I checked the disk repair permissions and they were all messed up. I tried repairing permissions but I don't think it worked. Also the time and date was messed up which made me think it was a battery thing. Lately I haven't been able to boot at all past the apple screen. I don't have much money but I have to get this fixed!

Some specs--

Power mac g5

CPU @1702037.8 ghz

Boot rom version 5.2.4f1

Memory 8 gb, 400mhz

Pmu/fcu versions:127/6.0.1 f0

Running OSX 10.5.6

Just to be clear this is the power pc from around early 2005, not the intel based g5, not the water cooled one, and not a Mac Pro!

Please help me!!

Power mac g5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 9:00 PM

26 replies

Mar 22, 2013 11:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the prompt response! I've tried the hair dryer trick once from a post I saw you answer, but I'm not sure i did it right. I'm going to try it again first thing in the morning. The inside of the computer is extremely dusty and dirty and I need to clean it, I'm just afraid of bumping something or disconnecting something important.

I haven't noticed a difference if the computer is cool or hot but if I let it sit for about a week or so without turning it on, I seem to get one decent boot out of it where I can access the desktop. I'm going to read all the links you posted and get back to you once I've tried what you've suggested. Thanks again! I've seen you help a lot of people on here so I've got hope you can help me figure this out!!

Mar 23, 2013 4:28 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

I certainly hope we can help here, from the sounds of it though, besides the dust must go for sure, it may be time to replace the thermal paste tween the CPU(s) & heatsinks... not all that easy for many.

It may also be intermittent solder joints on an IC but I would try everything else before concluding that I have to play with either of these.

A powerful and simple thing to try is a Safe Boot.

Try a PMU reset.

Make sure that everything is backed up to an external disk.

Will it boot from an installer DVD - if so try reinstalling the OS.

Mar 24, 2013 2:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok. So I have been turning it on and off for about two hours trying to safe boot or open the startup manager and boot from there. It randomly let me onto the desktop and gave me a problem report for MacOSX kernel which I took a snapshot of. Terrified that it would lock up and shutdown again I didn't bother trying to check disk permissions (I'm sure they're messed up) instead I opened up my OSX disk and am in the process of an archive and install. I hope this is what I should do...I had to move fast because you never know when it will boot you off. If I give you the info from the problem report do you think it might help explain things?

Please help me!! My Power Mac G5 is stuck at the grey apple logo screen and nothing is working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.