Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grid-Like screen on macbook pro

Hi there,

My Macbook Pro that was purchased in 2008 has a "Grid-Like" screen that I cannot get rid of. I cannot see anything but the grid so I cannot even use the computer. I restarted it randomly and the screen was back to normal for about 2 hours now its back again. I tried resetting the PRAM, Starting in safe-mode. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas what this could be and how to fix it? I already purchased a new MacBook Air I just want all the files and documents off of it and onto my external hard drive.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 11:44 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Clearly, the graphic card is damaged. As the whole logic board has to be replaced if you need a new graphic card, the repair will be very expensive, so it's up to you if you want to get the MacBook Pro repaired or you just want to use only the MacBook Air.

In order to recover your files stored, it's as easy as extract the hard drive of the MacBook Pro, and put it into an enclosure, so you will be able to connect it to the MacBook Air using USB and recover the data you want. You can find the steps to extract the hard drive in OWC or iFixit, and you can buy an enclosure in OWC > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/External-Enclosures/ As you have a MacBook Air, any USB 2.0 or 3.0 enclosure will work

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2013 11:44 PM in response to SlinkeyMan

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Clearly, the graphic card is damaged. As the whole logic board has to be replaced if you need a new graphic card, the repair will be very expensive, so it's up to you if you want to get the MacBook Pro repaired or you just want to use only the MacBook Air.

In order to recover your files stored, it's as easy as extract the hard drive of the MacBook Pro, and put it into an enclosure, so you will be able to connect it to the MacBook Air using USB and recover the data you want. You can find the steps to extract the hard drive in OWC or iFixit, and you can buy an enclosure in OWC > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/External-Enclosures/ As you have a MacBook Air, any USB 2.0 or 3.0 enclosure will work

Mar 22, 2013 11:52 PM in response to mende1

So with a damaged graphics card it is possible for the screen to come back to normal then back to this grid again? I knew it wasn't going to be a cheap fix. Now I'm not very familiar with enclosures. I'm assuming the standard hard drive is 2.5"? So this: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express for $20 would suit my needs of just recovering the hard drive from my computer?

Thanks for the help!

Mar 22, 2013 11:54 PM in response to SlinkeyMan

A damaged graphic card may be working for some minutes and then, it stops working. It often happens with graphic card problems. In my iMac, my graphic card was failing after using the iMac for some minutes, and soon the graphic card stopped working at all and my computer was completely unusable.

That enclosure is perfect for the MacBook Air

Grid-Like screen on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.