7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2013 12:06 PM by Pondini
sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

I've just set up a new external disk as my TM backup. I set TM to run and it has been stuck at 490.1 MB of 67.61 GB for the last half hour.

 MacBook Pro 2.2 Quad i7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iPhone 4S, iPad 3
  • clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 (30,000 points)

Start over.

Clinton

• sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

I've started over at least 10 times already. This is where it gets stuck:

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 6.28.27 AM.png

Never gets past this. I've stopped TM, erased the disk, deleted TM .plist preferences file and started again. Same thing.

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 (30,000 points)

Give Pondoni a shout in the WC. I'm out of ideas!

Clinton

Will do.

• Pondini Level 8 (38,740 points)

Hi,

An initial backup will often seem to "hang" like that early, but not for an hour.

That sounds like a problem with the TM drive, but could be a number of things.  Is it a new drive, or an old one being re-purposed?  

Be sure it has the GUID partition map scheme, and Mac OS Extended (journaled) or Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled) format.  Is the drive connected directly (no hubs or daisy-chaining)?

Is Spotlight busy indexing your Mac?  If so, wait until it's done -- that can slow a backup to a crawl.

Have you been backing-up to a different drive with TM, with no problems?  If so your Mac is likely ok. 

If not, ie, you haven't used TM before (or recently):

• Run Verify Disk on your internal HD to be sure there's not a directory problem.

• Are you running any anti-virus software?   Some of that can interfere.

You might want to look at your logs.  See if there are I/O errors, indexing messages, or anything odd sent by the backupd process.

See #D2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

Turned out to be a directory problem on the internal. Once fixed it's going again.

• Pondini Level 8 (38,740 points)

Great!