Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stuck in backup

I've just set up a new external disk as my TM backup. I set TM to run and it has been stuck at 490.1 MB of 67.61 GB for the last half hour.

 MacBook Pro 2.2 Quad i7-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iPhone 4S, iPad 3

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 4:12 AM

7 replies

Mar 23, 2013 7:51 AM in response to sig

Hi,

An initial backup will often seem to "hang" like that early, but not for an hour.

That sounds like a problem with the TM drive, but could be a number of things. Is it a new drive, or an old one being re-purposed?

Be sure it has the GUID partition map scheme, and Mac OS Extended (journaled) or Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled) format. Is the drive connected directly (no hubs or daisy-chaining)?

Is Spotlight busy indexing your Mac? If so, wait until it's done -- that can slow a backup to a crawl.

Have you been backing-up to a different drive with TM, with no problems? If so your Mac is likely ok.

If not, ie, you haven't used TM before (or recently):

• Run Verify Disk on your internal HD to be sure there's not a directory problem.

• Are you running any anti-virus software? Some of that can interfere.

You might want to look at your logs. See if there are I/O errors, indexing messages, or anything odd sent by the backupd process.

See #D2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

Time Machine stuck in backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.