Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps or Google Maps route through places?

I've been using my TomTom GPS for years and it served me very well. The options for customizing your route were great.

But now, I've almost substituted the TomTom device with my iPhone (mostly using Google Maps, but also Apple Maps).

It's great, but I had an important problem yesterday: the number of routes that both apps offer you is very limited, and the route I wished wasn't listed by any of such apps. So I thought I could overcome this by telling the app to pass by some location in the middle of the route, but couldn't find such an option on any of the apps.

Can't I tell these apps to go to some place passing by a friend's home during the route? That's one of the most basic features of any GPS, IMHO, because you're driving, you cannot be touching the display to change the route when you're driving, just program the whole route before you start, and then no need to touch the device any more... that's how I always used my old TomTom GPS...

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 5:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge, neither the built in Maps app or Google Maps offers routing with multiple stops, which seems to bue what you're asking for. You might want to look at some of the many other (some free, some at cost) navigation apps in the App Store. I suspect it's a need someone has stepped up to fill.

Best of luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2013 5:48 AM in response to cesarpixel

To the best of my knowledge, neither the built in Maps app or Google Maps offers routing with multiple stops, which seems to bue what you're asking for. You might want to look at some of the many other (some free, some at cost) navigation apps in the App Store. I suspect it's a need someone has stepped up to fill.

Best of luck.

Mar 23, 2013 6:48 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks. I also realized neither the builtin Maps nor Google Maps show the speed limit of the current road. I think I'll continue using my old Tom Tom device. I don't get why there was so much excitement about the Apple Maps vs Google Maps wars some months ago. Without routes true customization options (such as multiple stops) nor basic info such as the speed limit, they're useless. Don't get all the fans excitement about these apps

Mar 23, 2013 7:47 AM in response to cesarpixel

cesarpixel wrote:

Without routes true customization options (such as multiple stops) nor basic info such as the speed limit, they're useless.

Usefulness, like so many things, is in the eye of the beholder. I find both the Maps and Google Maps more than adequate. I have never had any need for multiple stops on a route. Also, my car came equipped with a speedometer. 😉

Apple Maps or Google Maps route through places?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.