Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending desktop by adding second monitor?

At work we use a thin client with dual monitors. I can access this from home on my 24" iMac (early 2008) using the Remote Desktop Connection included with Office 2011. I would like to add a second monitor to my iMac so I can more closely duplicate my work setup. This would involve spreading that one window across both my iMac screen and the second monitor screen. Is this possible? If so, are there recommendations regarding specs on the second monitor and the optimum way to connect it? Thanks for any suggestions.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 6:06 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

That's possible. Normally, OS X puts a second display in extended mode, so you can have part of a window on the iMac display and another one on the external display.

Your iMac has got a Mini DVI connector, so first you have to choose a monitor and, depending on the connectors that this monitor has, you will have to buy adapters or not

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2013 6:06 AM in response to miatamac

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

That's possible. Normally, OS X puts a second display in extended mode, so you can have part of a window on the iMac display and another one on the external display.

Your iMac has got a Mini DVI connector, so first you have to choose a monitor and, depending on the connectors that this monitor has, you will have to buy adapters or not

Mar 23, 2013 6:37 AM in response to miatamac

Just make sure the second monitor screen has the same physical screen dimensions as your iMac. Otherwise the extended window will be different sizes. You may also have to check the screen resolution and color, especially if it is a non-apple monitor.

I have a ViewSonic attached to my 27" iMac and have had to live with the above.. But I am happy with the extra "real estate"!

BF

Extending desktop by adding second monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.