Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

registry setting used by itunes drivers for burning cds are missing? fix?

A message appears when I load itunes on my computer - THE REGISTRY SETTINGS USED BY THE ITUNES DRIVERS FOR IMPORTING AND BURNING CD'S AND DVD'S ARE MISSING. THIS CAN HAPPEN AS A RESULT OF INSTALLING OTHER CD BURNING SOFTWARE. RE-INSTALL ITUNES -

I have re-installed itunes about 6 or 7 times and nothing works right. I have updated drivers for my PC - windows and the DELL DVD&RW CD player.

I am out of options - anyone know how to fix this error - I do not know of any newly loaded software that should be conflicting itunes.

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 12:38 PM

I'd start with the following document, with one modification. At step 12 after typing GEARAspiWDM press the Enter/Return key once prior to clicking OK. (Pressing Return adds a carriage return in the field and is important.)

iTunes for Windows: "Registry settings" warning when opening iTunes

6 replies

Apr 2, 2013 8:48 AM in response to b noir

I have the same issue as TS1436 & saw your reply/solution above... I'm your average non-tech casual ITunes user, so the # of issues re: uninstall/reinstall & problems this so often creates looks more than a little frustrating. I've already had to uninstall ITunes once for a different issue; after reading the doc you reference, it appears that was possibly the cause of the PC then not recognizing the CD/DVD drive, meaning I had to reload those drivers, which led to the current problem with ITunes & now another uninstall/reinstall. Seems new software shouldn't be this hard or time-consuming. OK, no more complaining, sorry...

I have 2 questions:

1) Rather than do an uninstall/reinstall, is it easier to just skip that step and follow the doc you reference for manually installing the device filter to ITunes? (using Windows 7)

2) I have lots of space & my ITunes library is small (new PC). For the purpose of just getting through this uninstall process, can I just temporarily backup a copy of the library to another file on the hard drive (as opposed to an external drive)? I understand there's a risk if the system crashes, but that seems unlikely (i hope!)

Thanks for your help...

Apr 22, 2013 5:11 AM in response to b noir

I followed the steps exactly, however it still has the same message that pops up when I reinstall iTunes, and now when I connect my iPhone to install, it says it can't be completed because the driver is not digitally signed, and that I should download the driver for it, but when I go to do that I get a message that tells me it's already installed. Any solutions?

May 24, 2013 1:31 PM in response to RicBucklew

My problem is that I have removed and re-installed it (twice) and it erases my cd drive and I have to go to my computer support to re-install the cd drive. I have the most current itunes and this is on windows 8. (I know first mistake) but I really would like this to work. This computer is 2 weeks old.

I am NOT a happy Apple person from day one of getting my phone. I have had a defective phone out of the package, I have lost all my contacts twice, it erased some of them at another time. I have driven 1 1/2 hrs twice to an Apple store because it freezes and turns off and will not turn back on. I was told at the apple store once that I received a corrupt update. Some one REALLY has to convince me when my upgrade is due to stay with apple,

How do I fix the problem with the drivers?

Jul 23, 2013 8:12 AM in response to RicBucklew

I fixed it by removing GEARAspiWDM, and all registry values, went into windows\system32 folder and removed the dll files associated with GEAR. I then rebooted, checked device manager and my dvd drive was now recognized and there was no yellow ! , so I then uninstalled itunes, reinstalled it from a download at apple, and viola!!! i was able to burn my playlist. yeah!!!!! Oh i then checked the properties of my cd/dvd drivers, and GEARAspiWDM was there with the C:Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom, and both had digital driver signed. It took about an hour to get this all done, but well worth the effort since itunes is pretty much in control of all my media. Anyways I hope that this helps and that if anyone else has this same problem, please just read

registry setting used by itunes drivers for burning cds are missing? fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.