Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated one of my ATV3's to 5.2.1 and now I cannot connect to my itunes library via homesharing

Since I updated one of my ATV3's to 5.2.1 I cannot connect to my itunes library. The "Connecting..." screen just spins and then goes back to the main menu.

I tried turning homesharing off and back on still nothing.

Note this is not 5.2 but 5.2.1.

any one else having this issue?

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 11:13 AM

15 replies

Mar 24, 2013 3:03 AM in response to theo20

So in case anyone else has this issue the fix for me appeared to be restarting the computer running itunes.

After I did this the apple tv just started working again with the 5.2.1 firmware.

So after the firmware update it didn't work then restarting the computer running itunes was required to get homesharing working again on the apple tv.

Apr 5, 2013 6:37 AM in response to deeebee

Yes, I have the same problem. Updated yesterday to version 5.2.1. Apple TV (3G). Streaming from my computer (music and movies) became impossible. (And nothing changed, the same WiFi router, and a signal strength of 80% on Apple TV). For me it became impossible to use Apple TV. I get realy frustrated, because before the update averything was working fine.

Hans Lijnbach

Apr 6, 2013 1:20 AM in response to brucejo

Yesterday late I performed a "reset" on ATV. The newest version of the software is automaticly downloaded also. (The same version). It took 5 hours to download the software for ATV. So it seems to be a "streaming problem" with WiFi routers. (And still the same problem after the reset).

It is realy very frustrating. And I do not know how to solve this problem. I think it will take months before Apple solves this problem, untill that time I will not be able tu use ATV. And, if there is a solution in the future, it will take me a day to download new software.

Hans Lijnbach

Apr 8, 2013 1:19 AM in response to localhost8080

That is nice and I am glad it is working for you. But it did not work for me. I have done a reset (5 hours) and still the same problem. In my situation it is a wifi connection problem. Since the update everything is working, only it is so slow that it is impossible to work with ATV. Even to slow for music. Further my WiFi is workig fine, all other stuff like computers, iPhones en iPad's are working perfectly. So it is not my WiFi, but the ATV with WiFi.

Hans Lijnbach.

Apr 8, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Hans Lijnbach

I am having a similar problem with both my ATVs (2 and 3) since upgrading to 5.2.1.

Every day, the first time I try to connect to my iTunes library, it fails, saying "Connecting to xxx's library," then after some time I get "Could not connect."

Simply quitting and restarting iTunes solves the issue for me.

Still, very annoying. It happens every day, so I assume it's caused by either my computer or my Apple TV going into a sleep state.

Apr 9, 2013 3:03 PM in response to deeebee

Slightly different problem, but seems related - after latest update, my ATV2 no longer responds to the remote app installed on my iPad 2, Touch or iPhone 3GS. Have reset the ATV2 from scratch, deleted remote app and reinstalled on all my devices, all to no avail. Actual remote does work fine, but annoying that can't use the much better functionality offered by using itunes on my iPad to control ATV2 streaming to my hifi.

Apr 23, 2013 5:30 PM in response to deeebee

After upgrading to 5.2.1 I wasn't able to view my movies or tv shows (I wasn't using homesharing). I kept getting "can't connect to Apple store" and unable to access account errors.

I found this thread and some others, and was a bit frustraited that there was no clean solution. I restarted my AppleTV, but didn't want to reset if I didn't need to b/c I didn't want to re-enter all my account info. So I tried something simple....

I simply unplugged AppleTV for ~1min, and plugged it back in. After that it worked fine.

I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else, but it's worth a try since it's easy.

I updated one of my ATV3's to 5.2.1 and now I cannot connect to my itunes library via homesharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.