Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to update my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3. I have the Snow Leopard disk to do it but am worried that not all of my data is backed up on my external backup. It is WD external backup I bought at the Apple store. Can I confirm it is backed up?

I need to update my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3. I have the Snow Leopard disk to do it but am worried that not all of my data is backed up on my external backup. It is WD external backup I bought at the Apple store. Can I confirm it is backed up?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 12:25 PM

2 replies

Mar 23, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Mustang1985

Mustang1985 wrote:

Can I confirm it is backed up?

You can't confirm your data is backed up using TimeMachine methods.

However you need to maintain two copies of your data at all times, since it's possible when you go to upgrade to 10.6.3, it's not going to work and you may have to erase and install (should for best performance actually)

So since there is a potential for loss here, you should get another external drive, use Disk Utility to format it the standard Mac format and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your 10.5 to it.

Since it copies everything, all your stuff will be there AND it's direct accessible so you can verify your files are there before you proceed with the upgrade.

Most commonly used backup methods

Also if your interested in maximizing your Snow Leopard's performance then do this

For Snow Leopard Speed Freaks

I do NOT advise any Mac that's out of AppleCare (or 3+ years old) to be upgraded past OS X 10.6.8

10.7 and 10.8 are SLOWER and they don't run your older PPC based software like 10.6 will, thus it tends to be a HUGE cost in replacement software that's better spent on a new 10.8 machine instead.

Also there is a risk with newer OS on a old machine and if a firmware update breaks the machine and your out of AppleCare, your out of frigging luck and stuck buying a new machine prematurely.

So it's not always wise to upgrade operating systems too far.

Apple is maintaining security updates for 10.6.8, so there is no need to worry about that issue presently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.